Home U.S. Coin Forum

Supid Question---Are all 1921 Peace Dollars High Relief???

I just don't know???image

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Yes
  • So my PCGS MS63 is nothing special at $330.00
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Compared to other 1921's in the same condition no.
    If you want a special one get a 1921 proof peace dollar.
  • Thanks....Adam:crazy
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So my PCGS MS63 is nothing special at $330.00 >>

It's difficult to know unless you 'd like to show us a picture of it... image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • zennyzenny Posts: 1,547 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So my PCGS MS63 is nothing special at $330.00 >>

It's difficult to know unless you 'd like to show us a picture of it... image >>

Yup, if the coin has anything approaching a full strike you could have actually done okay. One often sees coins that appear to have half a strike in 65 and 66 holders, and while relatively clean, really give no good idea of how the coin is supposed to look. Because of said high relief design finding a common circulation coin that has been well struck up is truly a numismatic challenge.

I (and many others) have been looking at these goofy things for years searching for the right balance of above average strike, good luster and minimal hits in the prime focal areas - combine this with getting the coin at the proper price and, as you might guess, they are few and far between.

So show us what you got and I guarantee you'll know soon enough.

z

ps. it's not necessary at all to purchase a proof, although if you've got the cash burning a hole in your pocket, the high relief design proof is also available in a 1922 model.....
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one in 65 that has a lot of baby blue in the center of obv and a circle on rev that doesn't show in the image. It's also gonna be gone. Has a nice strike for the year. The image has got a bit compressed too many times.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    all 1921 peace dollars are special. Every single one of them.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    yes

btw, i contend that the '21 is the most frequently cleaned peace dollar, hands down bar none. i dunno why, but the incidence of the cleaning of this date is enormous, very difficult to find perfectly original coins, or w/ original toning. stman, yours is 1 he11uva coin, congrats!!!

K S
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    I think it's been said that for some reason '21s tend to tone more. I've
    never seen a brilliant white '21. Could be something in the original
    handling that predisposes them to toning? As a result it would make
    sense they would get cleaned more.
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do come blast/blazing white with surfaces that are slightly reflective, but only rarely. They sure are pretty that way!!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    dorkkarl seems right about the cleaning.....and its so sadimage
    YCCTidewater.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file