Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

A prayer/wish of well being for a good friend

I'd like to ask everyone that knows a good friend of mine, BeachBum, to kinda keep him in your prayers or at least in your thoughts for the next few days or so. Mike is a great guy who happens to be going through a rough time right now. I would never use message boards as a way of communicating such things, but I am very aware that he has many friends on these boards.

I met Mike after a Dontrelle Willis sale, and we hit it off ever since. We talk quite a bit on the phone and we share an extreme amount of interests with each other. We often joke about how we may be brothers split at birth.

Anyway, I hope he doesn't mind me doing this, but I really want him to know that he has a bunch of people in his corner. For a guy I never met, I could still say he is a good friend of mine. I personally wish him well and hope this is just another small obstacle in life that every one of us face one time or another in some way, shape or form.

He enjoys these boards as much as I do, and he loves offering his insight and opinions on many different topics. His passion for the hobby is immeasurable. I know this for a fact.

Thanks!

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roach
    Is this a prayer only or is there something that could need additional help. PM me.
    Mike
    Mike
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I was wondering where he has been. What is wrong?
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • At this point, I am not at liberty to say. I do appreciate the concern, and I am sure he does also. Once I find out more info, I will pass it along unless I am told otherwise. Like I originally said, he may not want me causing a big deal over this.

I need to respect his wishes first. I need to find out some more info tonight.

Thanks!

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Long Live CoolHandLuke! I hope whatever he is dealing with gets resolved soon and to his advantage.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Best of luck Mike

Long live Paul Newman and Cole Hamels!
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Roach, send Mike my best wishes. is he accepting emails? if so, i'd like to drop him a note.

<< <i>The Lord bless thee, and keep thee;
    The Lord make his face shine upon thee,
    and be gracious unto thee;
    The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee,
    And give thee peace. >>

Roach
    This for Mike - prayer does some great things.
    Mike
    Mike
  • i'll keep mike and his family in my thoughts- he really is a great guy/knowledgeable collector
  • CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Don't know him either, but his posts are always of a quality, insightful nature... I wish him the best and hope he overcomes his adversity... it'll be nice to have him back.

• JmnesqJmnesq Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Mike is ok. He's taking some heavy duty antibiotics and is pretty run down, but he'll be back on the boards in a few days. He appreciates all of your thoughts.
    Jeff

Collecting Bowman Chrome Phillies Rookie Cards and Mike Schmidt certified auto cards.
  • ranchranch Posts: 341
    Can someone please PM me and tell me what's wrong?

Thanks.
  • I don't know Mike personally, but I remember he did buy my Bowman Gold Cole Hamels RC on Naxcom back in Feb. (My biggest sale on the net ever! I think that was my card in his sig at one point) and I want to say to Mike, best wishes I'm keep you in my thoughts.
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    I'd like to ask everyone that knows a good friend of mine, BeachBum, to kinda keep him in your prayers or at least in your thoughts for the next few days or so. Mike is a great guy who happens to be going through a rough time right now. I would never use message boards as a way of communicating such things, but I am very aware that he has many friends on these boards.

What's going on?

Contact me,please.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    BeachBum (Mike) is a friend of mine on this board. I certainly wish him the strength to overcome whatever he needs to do.

I really like the guy!!

Andre
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Roach, that goes for you too. You are also one of my favorites on this board.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Thanks to all who shared the kind words. Apparently Mike is feeling alot better. To clear the air, he was having some complications breathing and he had a full exam and all by the doc.

To be honest, I still haven't spoken with him since Tuesday, so I don't have much of an update myself. I am quite sure that he appreciates all of the concern and thoughts.

It's people like you guys that make this forum enjoyable for me. Thanks!

TheRoach

• First off...thank you Roach and all others who left well wishes...

I think the famous quote was once, "the reports of my demise were greatly exaggerated"....

I became incredibly sick last weekend with 102.8 fever and teeth chattering chills which came on the heels of breathing difficulties for a week before that.

Convinced it was my heart, I ended up at the doctor's office who found breathing irregularities...now, I had lung surgery from a congenital cyst which almost killed me at 20, so I was more than concerned.

Chest X-rays show it to be Pneumonia and I've been on Keflex and sleeping 20 hours for the past 4 days...this is my first foray back to the computer in nearly a week.

My greatest concern was how to let people on Ebay with whom I was in the middle of buying/selling know my problem...I'm psychotic that way.

So, I'lle-mail anyone I can't reach through the boards and hope to be back at work next week by midweek and strong enough to get back here as well.

Thank you again for all concern ( I was a little freaked myself as they also found a slightly enlarged heart ) , but there is strength in faith and altering my all too stressful lifestyle.

Thank you all,

Mike
    "moderncollector" on BGS
    Beachbum...formerly known as "CoolHandLuke"...as if you didn't know image
  • Mike, sorry to hear you had to go through all that, hope you're okay now, I don't know if I go through what you went through, but I hope you have will to get through the days. BTW, I always wanted to know if that's a Hamels Gold Chrome Refractor in your sig, is the one I sold to you? If so, it's nice to visit and see my card, and I'm glad to add one of them to your collection. I plan to send my only Chrome Regular RC to PSA soon (sorry, not planning to sell that!) Anyways, cheer up, and nice to see that you're around on the behalf of all CU board members!
  • Bladefox...it is indeed your Cole Hamels card which graces my sig line !

Thank you on both accounts...the well wishes & the card !

Mike
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ha!
    ·p_A·

<< <i>My greatest concern was how to let people on Ebay with whom I was in the middle of buying/selling know my problem...I'm psychotic that way. >>

Very classy Mike,
    Good luck, I wish you a speedy recovery and a Happy Easter!
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • All the best to you!
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Beachbum glad your feeling better.
    Your team is still on in fantasy if you still want it. i started your lineup for you this week and as of right now your winning.
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Glad to hear you bounced back and will be sticking around.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

God bless ya!

<< <i>Enjoy talking amongst yourself boys.....I've got a wife and baby to get back to...too much wasted time on those who don't deserve it around here. >>

Beach
    I don't have an ax to grind with you. You came on the boards when I was new and accused me of playing the "referee" and that these were big boys - this was "SOP" for the forums - I am NOT a referee but I will try to 'balance' a discussion and give my opinion about fair play and a more gentile way of addressing an issue. Your friend Jeff slammed him, which is not my business, but did it in a way to start a range war instead of a discussion. Your rhetoric may incite some which I may even understand.

However, I unearthed this thread for you to review and realize that for the most part there is a lot of heart on this board. Most noteworthy was the call to action to support a child in need. At the time of this post, my feelings were genuine and still are - but the statement: "enjoy talking amonst youself boys..." is not fair and doesn't take into account the larger picture. This is a personal thing between you and Roach - I will support Roach if attacked - but I would do the same for you if you were blindsided.

Not looking for a fight - just brought this up in the interest of balance and fairness to what Roach had done for you and the response from people on the boards.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Dear Stone aka Mike:

I am not going to comment here on your sincerity, just your involvement.

By dredging up this piece of tarnished history I am not going to soon forget the accuracy of the comments mentioned in the post you chose not to respond in.

I believe your "heart" is in the right place and we have no beef, you and I; you may be a bit naive, but even that has a sense of charm in this world.

BTW, while you dragged this up and if you want to be more than an apologist for boorish behavior, why don't you look at or mention the response in this very post from PAndrews??? Seems to me, he amply shows his true colors right down to his "replies" on the Hamels post....but you have time to bring up Jeff.....sorry Stone, that is not "balanced" reporting and your bringing up this post here does nothing to alter the FACTS I raised in my Hamels post.

This too shall pass Stone...but as long as someone tries to speechify from the bully pulpit of a sports board, I thought I'd clearly convey the point I wanted to make which I consider done....mess around with my business or auctions after a clear and fair friendly advice not to...well........

Finally, you took issue with my term, "boys"......if you know behavior more sophomoric than Pandrews then enlighten me on a better word.

In the meantime, always taking the high road, I'll leave you men to more important discussions than my business.

See ya.

<< <i>I am not going to comment here on your sincerity, just your involvement. >>

Beach
    I didn't say that this thread was peerless. I'm just trying to bring up the point that you guys used to be friends and yes, I can be a bit naive and idealistic. My reference to 'boys' was that it seems you were characterizing an entire group rather than who was your target. Roach never mentioned your name in his thread and his motives are unknown to me and none of my business but you brought it out in an open forum.
    I'm not sure of everything you said - you may have subtly slammed me? I'm speaking up so I deserve a shot too. I try to balance, albeit not perfectly - you are correct if what you allege is true, I think you have a real beef - no one should mess with your life. I think it's time for me to crawl back into my hole and mind my own business.
    Mike
    Mike