Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should I resubmit to NGC for MS65*?

I bought this coin already graded by NGC as MS65 but I think it deserves an MS65* designation. Would I be wasting my money? How much more is MS65* worth over MS65?
Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com

Comments

• FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    The (*) star designation seems to be a very subjective standard. It's nice when you have it, but the coin has to stand on it's own merits. I think your coin stands on it's own merits so I wouldn't bother with a resubmission. JMHO.
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother resubmitting. The rainbow toning would bring a large premium on its own merits, star or not. If you re-submit, you run the risk that NGC will change their minds and decide it's AT or put an MS-64 on it because they're having a bad day. Really nice coin, by the way.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PoorGuy: That's a drop dead gorgeously toned Morgan! image Beautiful Coin! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    So the (*) designation on an NGC holder doesn't boost the price if I tried to sell it? [NOT SELLING].

What is the purpose of the (*)?
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Niceimage
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    I talked to a dealer recently and he can routinely get an additional 30% for coins with the star designation. I'm sure you can resubmit it just for the designation without cracking it and risking AT/lower grade.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    A resubmit for designation is like $5 or $10 at NGC so it might be worth it.

• << <i>So the (*) designation on an NGC holder doesn't boost the price if I tried to sell it? [NOT SELLING].

What is the purpose of the (*)? >>

For those buying sight unseen on the net, it lets them know in NGC's opinion the coin has more eye appeal then normally seen on a coin of that grade.
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>So the (*) designation on an NGC holder doesn't boost the price if I tried to sell it? [NOT SELLING].

What is the purpose of the (*)? >>

* is given if coin has that extra ooommppphhh but I wouldn't pay extra because the slab has an * on it. The coin you have will sell it self, without the *.
    Thanks,

Also, where can you find price guides for toned coins. I know it is purely subjective but I have heard that certain colors bring more money like red/green toned coins. I paid $475 for this coin in 2002 but have no idea what it is worth now. Do any of you have a clue what this coin is worth?

Thanks again
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Posts: 2,697
    There is no such thing as a price guide for toned coins...
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    The fee for NGC's "designation review", which would include the * designation, is $10.

And, while I think that coin easily deserves a *, in my opinion, it is pretty enough to sell itself at a nice premium, with or without a *. If anyone needs to see it in a * holder in order to fully appreciate it and pay real $ for it, they aren't the type of buyer you're looking for anyway.image
  • How old is the holder? If it was slabbed b4 NGC started using the star designation, your odds of getting the star are considerable. In fact, I would be totally floored if it did not get the *, as it is way more attractive than the usual Morgan toner. Is that a Philadelphia or Frisco or Nawlins?
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • SpudmasherSpudmasher Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Coinguy 1's opinion pretty much did what UCONN did to college basketball. (Slamdunk)
    The holder doesn't look that old. It does look different than the style holder they are using now. The label is that offwhite color with a brown scale. I am almost certain it is the style they used just before the current style.
    The mintmark is Philly
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PoorGuy: If you post a digital image of the NGC slab we can tell you the relative age of the slab - i.e. approx time when it was slabbed...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
    I only made this scan and brought it up here to work. I have it against a black background for my desktop wallpaper. I might have time to run and get it around 11 though.

Here is the desktop wallpaper I have with this coin and one of it's friends. If anybody wants desktop wallpaper made from their coins, just let me know. It only takes a couple of seconds.

Download it Here

I'll go get a scan of the coin in the slab around 11 o'clock.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget, the star designation also gives bonus points on NGC's regestry.

I love the warm colors.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    You can log into the boards over there and post the cert# and ask them if it was slabbed prior to the star designation for toned Morgans. I did this with two proof washingtons. If it was slabbed before they started the program for morgans, in my opinion its worth the expensed to submit. There are buyers out there that would feel more comfortable paying money for a coin that the graders feel have outstanding eye appeal. Many coin dealers online have rating systems for their coins. I would submit it only if your plan is to sell it.

I've purchased a couple of coins for my collection off ebay that had the star designation. I was looking for the coin and the star designation made the difference in my decision to purchase those coins versus others that were available. But I guess I am not the type of buyer that would be interested in it. image
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

The star designation is just a gimmick by NGC. Like someone above said- The coin stands on it's own merits & doesn't need a star.

That's one nice Morgan. image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin...

The star designation does boost the price for the right collector...

John
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭✭
    What does the reverse look like, If its white its very unlikely NGC would star it. The reverse would
    have to have some color either at the rims or similar to the obverse. I have always gotten at least
    20% more for an NGC coin with the star on it. If you are going to send it in I would send it under
    the regrade tier.

Nick
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Nick, why use the more costly re-grade tier, rather than "desigation review", based on the submitter's looking/hoping for the * designation?
  • byergobyergo Posts: 586
    Very easily worth $10 or so for a * designation review. This would denote that the graders found this coin to be in the best fraction of a % for eye appeal. You will bring many times your money back on this "investment" if you get the star, and there is NO reason why you shouldn't! Your downside is $10 and your upside is hundreds. This is the kind of gamble I like to take!
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file