Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is these errors or damage or what?

If some of you coin error experts would please take a look at this scan & possibly give me an idea of what these marks are I would greatly appreciate it! The area on the rim is raised, rounded and seems to cast I guess I would call it a shadow or darker area below the rim. It appears to be extra metal on the rim itself?.?. The mark near the "D" actually goes through the top of the "D" and also looks like there is a bit of extra metal on the "D's" top...oh and the "D's" top point extends to the rim. Can anyone tell me what these are? I also marked 2 other areas that stood out.

Thanks for your time & opinions!

-pulpz

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    The raised area from the top of the D to the rim looks like a die crack. The raised rim might be a partial collar.
    No idea about the rest.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The raised area connected to the "D" is from a die crack, the others are just bag marks (i.e. damage from other coins).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Due crack thru D. Rim break above STAT. Dies states, not errors. Fairly common.
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    <<If some of you coin error experts would please take a look at this scan & possibly give me an idea of what these marks are I would greatly appreciate it! The area on the rim is raised, rounded and seems to cast I guess I would call it a shadow or darker area below the rim. It appears to be extra metal on the rim itself?.>>

This is a "rim cud". Part of the die's rim gutter broke off.

<<The mark near the "D" actually goes through the top of the "D">>

This appears to be a "strike-through" error, possibly from a piece of lint.

<<and also looks like there is a bit of extra metal on the "D's" top...>>

I don't see it.

<<oh and the "D's" top point extends to the rim.>>

This looks like a die crack or a die gouge.

The pits on "PLURIBUS" would seem to be damage that occured after the strike.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    To sum it up, it is worth 25 cents.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Nice picture.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The neat placement of the marks on Pluribus looks suspicious. This may be a binary
    numbering system that someone was (is) using to track a group of coins. If so then
    this might be coin number 136 of a group. (I=8 + P=128)

Was this found in circulation?
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file