Home U.S. Coin Forum

Modern Submission Question

Let me first start by saying that I have never submitted to a grading service before. I'm relatively new to collecting, and most of my nicer coins have been bought slabbed. I just joined up with the PCGS Gold membership, and am trying to decide on my free submission coins.

So, that said, I have a nice little collection of modern circulation coins from 1978 (my birth year) to the current year that I have pulled from mint sets over the past months. Some of these coins look fabulous, but I'm not sure how they would grade. Needless to say, I'm pretty darned curious. Here's my questions:

- What is the estimated norm grade for a modern mint set coin? Is is 65? 63? Lower?

- Would a 68 look that much better than the normal coin? Would it be an obvious standout to the naked eye in a lineup of other coins from mint sets?

- Should I just stick with my Walkers? image
You shout in your sleep.
Perhaps the price is just too steep.
Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
Just one man beneath the sky,
Just two ears, just two eyes.

Comments

• melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    Would a 68 look that much better than the normal coin? Would it be an obvious standout to the naked eye in a lineup of other coins from mint sets?

Yes it would

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>- What is the estimated norm grade for a modern mint set coin? Is is 65? 63? Lower? >>

There is a wide variance from year to year in the quality found in mint sets. Some years, lots of gem MS65's can be had, others the mint was on drugs when they were produced and a lot of junk came out. Tough question to answer on a general basis but, on balance, MS64 to MS65 is likely to be the average.

<< <i>- Would a 68 look that much better than the normal coin? Would it be an obvious standout to the naked eye in a lineup of other coins from mint sets? >>

Assuming the "normal" as noted above, yes, a coin that grades a legitimate MS68 will stick out like a neon sign in a drab residential neighborhood. It will have the barest minimum of marks and appear perfect at first glance. It will be fully struck, with blazing luster and eye-crossing cartwheel. You WILL see the difference.

Russ, NCNE
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Send other coins as the freebies if you have them. You can get the moderns graded for $12 each if you send 5 or more.
  • I've got 7 very nice looking cents. Is this a common trend?

I've also noticed most of the halves are very drab... which I guess would be partly due to the size. But then again, I think the quarters on average look better than the dimes. Maybe I'm just prejudiced against Roosies.
    You shout in your sleep.
  • Would a 68 look that much better than the normal coin? Would it be an obvious standout to the naked eye in a lineup of other coins from mint sets?

If you're going to be submitting a lot of modern coins from your collection, and hoping for 68s, something I have found helpful is buying some slabbed examples of the coins I'm interested in. And I've also done the opposite, that is, buy an MS64 and MS65 example for comparison purposes. The lower grade slabs usually are dirt cheap -- for less than the price of the grading fee on a single coin, you can have a real-life example of what not to submit right at your side.

Yes, 68s are "obviously" better than 65s for modern coinage. I've found it more difficult to differentiate between 67 or 68, and similarly 68 or 69.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Thanks much for your advice, input, and suggestions!

I'm going to a show this weekend in Cincinnati, so I may just pick up a few mid range MS coins for comparison. That should help with the cents and quarters...

Sometimes I feel like this board is a "numismatic" plug-in from "The Matrix."

Thanks again!
    You shout in your sleep.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file