Home U.S. Coin Forum

How can a dollar tone like this??

rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3906079634&indexURL=1&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohostingIs this album toning?

I really do not know much about toning...Is this album toning??...It must be real toning because it is in a holder.image
"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Chemical probably. Liver of sulphur maybe.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>How can a dollar tone like this?? >>

On a hot plate set at about 500c and with a lot of sulphur. image
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm------just wondering were I can buy a hot plate and some sulferimage
    Becky
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that's a beautifully toned Morgan! I'll be interested to see what JBS has to say about it...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    here ti is

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll give it a bodybag anywhere reputable--it's been cooked
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

<< <i>Hmmmmm------just wondering were I can buy a hot plate and some sulferimage >>

Ask aswimmer, he has all the good sources for AT equipment! image

<< <i>I think that's a beautifully toned Morgan! I'll be interested to see what JBS has to say about it... >>

• 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I just parted with one that was very much the same tone. It had been living in tissue for twenty years.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
    Well, the auction is still open. Bid a couple hundred then come back and let us know what ANACS, PCGS or NGC thinks about that cooked coin.
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    I think this is questionable toning as well, but I have seen Morgans with similar toning though.

Michael
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    100% AT
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Unfortuantely anyone can produce one with common dandruff shampoo.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    How it got that way is a question for those with enough time to try to artificially tone coins,

but

the consistent color and intensity of the cobalt blue at the rim just isn't found when coins tone naturally. Interestingly enough, at the Fort Worth Coin show either last year or the year before, there was a dealer with 12-14 tables of coins in ACG holders, most of which were toned almost exactly like that Morgan.
  • Oh Boy!! I wonder if they bought this from ninz collectibles, they used to have 100's of these for sale in about any common date you wanted a year or so ago on the bay. It was kinda of amazing how exact every one looked regardless of if it was a Morgan or any other series they cooked up.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Despite the AT it does have nice luster.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • They ought to be shot
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason: Thanks for the AT confirmation. It still looks pretty to me in the blurry photo...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • I hate ACG just as much as anyone, but there is a chance that is is NT. I have a similarly toned (intense blue at rims) 1962 Franklin in a PCGS holder. It came from a hoard of coins that were stored in manilla coin envelopes. Interestingly, the Morgans from the hoard did indeed get QT'd at PCGS. But I know for sure they were real. And I got over a dozen MS67 toner Roosies in PCGS slabs from same hoard.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file