Home Q & A Forum
Options

Truth or dare

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
David,
I heard you have or had a complete set of certified baseball cards from 1910 to the present. Do you collect baseball cards or is this one of those urban legands?
Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Hi Michael,

From 1984 or so to 1997 I put together a near complete set of 1948 to 1957 baseball, football, and basketball cards. I sold the set for about a million dollars in 1997/98...my cost was about $650,000...a mediocre profit at best for the time and work involved. As it turns out, I sold way early as just after I sold the market for super high grade PSA cards went through the roof. Some dealers have told me that my collection would bring $4 or $5 million today. Oh well...it's just dirty green paper, it can't buy happiness.

I did thoroughly enjoy my collection, but some PSA detractors were gripping about my owning the grading service and collecting the cards, so I sold everything. The dealers who sold me a lot of cards weren't very happy as I was a pretty big fish for super high grade goodies.

David

PS...There was one good thing that came out of this. I got the idea for the Set Registry by keeping track of the average grade of my individual card sets and comparing those averages with other top sets I knew about.