Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jefferson collectors wanna comment on this price???

outrageous price

gotta be more out there.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    everyone must beimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    If that be the case then What would my 1966 SMS MS68DCAM be worth?????????

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    He is just fishing.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he's got the cajones to offer it at that price, there's nothing stopping him.

Of course, there's also nothing stopping every person on Earth from walking away from his auction and laughing!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    A friend of mine at MIT and I recently put a few coins under an electron scanning microscope just to prove that there is no such thing as a 70.

At a certain power, all coins look like the terrain of Mars.

We ARE watching you.

70 is not perfect, 100 is. Any grades after 70 would be given using the aid of an electron scanning microscope.image
    San Diego, CA

• Heck, at a certain level of magnification, we don't even exist. Just empy space between atoms revolving around each other image
    If we break the molecular bonds then there really is nothing.image
    San Diego, CA

• nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Help a newbie understand:

His auction says,

<< <i>"The latest online PCGS population report has this coins listed at 1 ever making this grade" >>

but on the PCGS slab it says, Coin: 33. I though Coin: 33 means 33 were graded at that grade, this one being the 33rd? Can someone explain please..? Spank you, spank you very much..image
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin number -- 33 in this case -- is where this coin falls in the sequence of the entire series, from the first date/mintmark made to the last.

For instance, Coin 1 in the Proof Jefferson series is the 1938. Coin 2 in the series is the 1939. Etc. The 1979-S Type 1 is the 33rd coin in the proof Jefferson series.

And by the way... according to today's online Pop Report, there are now 2 1979-S Type 1 coins graded PR70DCAM.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    noobie, according to PCGS "Coin Number is:

"The coin number is the number of a particular coin within a series. A 1932-P Washington Quarter, for instance, is coin number 1 of that series, and the 1932-D is coin number 2 and so on."

Jim
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I don't think it's an outrageous price.

It only costs $3 to list it and there is a good chance some Registry collector would come along and be dumb enough to pay it.

Listing it is easier then actually selling it.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I don't play the 70 game, not that I could afford to. Even if I could, I wouldn't. To me, the quality and dollar difference between a no-problem 69 and a 70 is not worth the huge jump. Let's see, it's a pop 2.

Since Mint, obviously, did not break down mintage totals between Type 1 and 2, the total proof mintage on the 1979-S was 3,677,175.

PCGS has graded 1,430 of the date or .0004 percent of the mintage.

23 coins between both types have been graded PR-70 or .016 percent of the total graded by PCGS.

To be preposterous, if PCGS were to grade the entire mintage, based on the current percentages, it would yield about 57,500 PR-70s, of which about 5,400 would be Type 1s.

That is to say, there are a lot of raw sets out there with "perfect coins" in them...
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Ahh, thanks much DennisH & NoGvmnt. I learn something new everyday! image
  • RGL I think what you are saying would be true if if low and high end coins were submitted equally. But more high end coins are submitted and this changes everything.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hahahahahahaha

Rgrds
    TPimage
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I think I'd buy 350 of the PR69 Dcams at $25 each and look for an undergraded one.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file