Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where can I find the silica gel packs to keep moisture out

Where can I find these? My safety deposit box is smelling musty.

thanks

Comments

• Shoe boxes at "Pay-Less Shoes"
  • Just kidding. image

I see them occasionly on eBay. Not sure what they should cost, so i don't know if it's a good deal or not.

I think they have to be changed out in a certain amount of time too?
  • PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭
    Try www.JPsCorner.com

Just ordered from them and got just what I needed.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ironic... I ordered some from JPs a few hours ago image

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Try eaglecoinholders.com. They have two different sizes.
    Gary
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I've seen em on Brent Krueger's supply site...

Linkydink
    -George
    42/92
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I just bought some on eBay. Search for Silica
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • For products like this I always thought the best way to go is suppliers who specialize in desiccants. Even if you were to make an individual purchase, I think it's cost effective to order from these types of companies. (Or you could organize a group purchase from forum members.)

These companies have great products to defeat moisture problems, and most sell "humidity" indicator devices, like "indicating" desiccant packs or indicator cards, so you can determine if the silica is spent or moisture is a problem. Note these products are not that expensive, and buying in bulk will save money.

For example, from retailer PreserveMart, you can buy 10 packs of indicating silica for a measly $5.00 -- get 50 and it's only $15.00.

Just do a search for "desiccants" and you'll pull up tons of companies, or check out the ThomasRegister, which has compiled a list of some companies.

And if you're really serious about it, you can even buy desiccating units that can be recharged by placing them in your oven for a couple hours, which removes the accumulated moisture. Best part is the unit costs around $25.00. You can pick that one up from Drierite -- obviously, it's for a decent-sized home safe or cabinet, not a safe deposit box.

Edited: this photo makes this container look huge, but it's only 4.5 inches in diameter and 16 inches high. When I upgrade my safe, I'm getting this unit.

Well, if you decide to pick up some silica gel packs, I'll split the costs with you if you want -- I could use some.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    40 gram unit protects 3 cubic feet of enclosed space. Ideal for gun, camera and telescope cases, small safes, tool boxes, silver drawers, etc. Top grade silica gel is contained within a compact aluminum canister that measures only 4" x 2" x 1/2"; has a built-in indicator that turns from blue to pink to signal need for reactivation. Easy to reactivate in any oven. Lifetime protection.

above is what I got for $5

thanks guys
  • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "Where can I find these? My safety deposit box is smelling musty."

Just send me the locked Box, I'll be more than happy to "clean it out" for you.

Jim
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>40 gram unit protects 3 cubic feet of enclosed space. >>

Jason,

You're not as dumb as you look. image That's the one I use in my safe. I have six and when the one in the safe turns pink, I just swap it out. Once I'm down to one, I pop the other five in the oven to dry and I'm good to go for another rotation.

Russ, NCNE
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    gee thanks for the compliment image

I kinda liked the "gas gauge" feature. Strong selling point on a $5 item image

• TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    I get mine from Jakes.
    I have tried all sizes the little packets are very short term days. The metal containers last only a week. I get the larger cartons and reheat them once every 2-3 months . The intermediate size works well in my large bank SD boxes. I gave up on my floor safe as it was too damp and damaged coins. You must check frequently until you know the time frame and then schedule replacements.
    Trime
  • Do the silica gel packs affect currency? Do they turn them Yellow? image
    JoeCool
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I have a lot of silica gel. It's in sewn bags about a foot long and six inches in diameter. I get a lot in the crating in new machines I buy. Think I could sell them on Ebay?

Ray

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file