Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another card scammer - unklbnz - at work, just watch!

I saw this on another board, and think that this might help expose another card trimmer / scammer...lets watch and see how this # Lebron card fares when it inevitably winds up back on Ebay in a few weeks. This seller is known for always selling BGS 9.5 / 10's and PSA 10's of questionable origin.

This is note worthy because the seller states the card has a rough lower left hand edge...now, that is.

Lebron Pre-Trim

Comments

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or do athletes no longer know how to spell out their names.

I can just picture these guys drawing these doodles on these cards and laughing their butts off.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Excellent catch SoxFan! I am curious to see if this puppy shows up on Ebay like you said. Remember the serial number!

This guy is known as a crook, you're right.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Here's the serial number...

469 / 500

Thought I'd stick it in the thread because I bet the image will be gone from the link when this card resurfaces in 30 days!
  • Options

Tishen95 is now NARU. I don't know if this is temporary or permanent. I wonder why? He'll probably be back with another ebay ID.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    From my previous dealings...unklbnz is a guy who grades with express grading and always seems to get the high grades. I have made a few deals with him (the final one I absolutly murdered him when I look at the value now) and he seems to like raw cards or graded cards with the chance of bumping up a grade (didn't get the bump on a BGS 8.5 I sold him). Either way...I'd be watching for this card to end up in a PSA 10 or BGS 9.5 case in the next week or two. I think this guy does do some work on his cards and I wouldn't be surprised if #469/500 get's a Gem Mint grade even if it's not Gem Mint at this moment.
    CB4
  • Options
    Tishen95 is now NARU. I don't know if this is temporary or permanent. I wonder why? He'll probably be back with another ebay ID.

Steve (Tishen95) already has a new userid, it's kkoenig75 . He and Koenig have been partners for at least a year now, can't verify before that.

Does anyone know the deal with ebay id kardsharks? I don;t know anything about the seller aside from the fact that they probably have 90% of the BGS 10 2002 Prospect Premieres despite grading maybe a total of 5% of the population for the set.

As for the BGS debacle, it doesn't even matter, now all of the trimmers are switching to PSA and getting away with it. Koenig/Tishen only had 2 evidence of trimming from their last PSA submission and got some PSA 10's on near impossible cards like 98 Leaf RS Glaus, 02 Elite LaRoche, and a few tough LeBron's. The sky is falling, the sky is falling....

Jason
    Baseball Card Heaven, the closest card shop to the Las Vegas Strip.

Our current ebay auctions, and of course BaseBallCardHeaven.com
  • Options
    Unbelievable is all I can say. This was inevitable though. I never once believed that PSA couldn't miss some cards that were trimmed. I don't think that any of these grading companies allow it, but sometimes they just miss them.

KardSharks has every BGS 10 card imaginable. At first, I thought "Man these guys rock!", but once all of the trimming stuff came about, al signs pointed at them. I just did a look at all of the cards they have on Ebay right now. It's simply ridiculous. Out of about 60 cards, they had only about 3-4 9's. The rest were all BGS 9.5's and 10's, or PSA 10's.

I know some will say that just because anyone has that many excellent grades, it doesn't make them a crook. Well, some people out here may actually have a collection of 20-30 GEM MINT cards that they dished out lots of $$$ to get over several years, but these type of sellers make a career out of it. Once the 60-70 cards they have listed, sell - another 50-60 of the same type cards will pop up. They keep generating these type grades when the average person nearly $hits themselves when they get ONE of these grades back in any submission. It's bull$hit and it will definitely cause this hobby to come crashing down one day soon. At least the graded portion.

It makes me sick when I think about what these companies have "created". Card companies claim that there are so many more BGS 9.5's and 10's out there now because they come out of packs this way these days. That may be true, but peopel will still have them graded as long as they know they could take that very same $20 card and turn it into a $400 card instantly by someone stamping it "Pristine".

I used to love it, but now I think there is more dishonesty, swindling, and scheming going on than ever. Anytime there is the potential to make/gain thousands of $$$ on anything, the loser/criminals start coming out of the woodwork.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    i'm just curious what the board's take is on certain sellers who have a high # of the SAME cards in PSA 10s weekly. let's just throw out dslsports, psastock, ksports66, and jtcards as names...and no, i'm NOT accusing ANY of them of anything- in fact, i buy from all of them quite regularly and am very happy w/the service. where are these sellers getting their cards? how are they getting an inordinate amount of 10s (i rarely see 9s in their auctions) from psa?
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I know that it has been mentioned that many of these snakes are buying cards at card shows raw, trimming or altering them, submitting them, and sitting back collecting the cash. I didn't realize they were bold enough to buy raw cards on Ebay where we all could catch them in the act (on a serial # card no less!). It makes me mad to see this, especially as an average collector spending my hard earned money trying to get nicely graded cards the right way. I will be keeping my eye on this one.
  • Options
    Lebron BGS 9.5

Its official... That card is now a bgs 9.5
  • Options
    Wow! Not only a crook, but look how fast this scam takes to turnaround!

First, he buys the card on Mar 26. Then, he lists his inevitable BGS 9.5 on April 8. 13 days later! From the original seller, to the cutting room, to Beckett, back to unklbnz, then to Ebay! How do you like that! (How do you do that?)

But, what can we do about this? I would to see him get stuck with this card, but short of emailing everyone who bids on this card and telling them this story, he is going to get away with it again...and no one cares in BGS land. You would think that this would be the equivalent of catching a thief red-handed...but I don't know how to hang him now. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Text>>Its official... That card is now a bgs 9.5<<

It's a 9.5, but is that the same card? I can't see the
    serial #, and he doesn't specify what it is exactly out of the 500.
    If it is indeed the "exact" same card; that was lightning fast
    send in/slab/on ebay.

Eagle
  • Options
    That card had to be trimmed. The seller stated in his ad that it had a rough cut on the left edge. Now the card is in a BGS 9.5 case (10 subgrade for auto) with super high subgrades (10,9.5,9.5,9.5). It's absolute BULL$HIT!!!!! Either this guy gets the biggest favours from graders or he is an absolute whiz at altering cards.

I sold a few cards to unklbnz over the years and did well on our last deal but always wondered why my PSA 9's or BGS 9's were ending up as Gem Mints. Dealers like this have been around for awhile now and will continue to grow when they make huge profits from buying raw and getting basically any grade they want.
    CB4
  • Options
    Eagle, it's the same card. Look closely at the scan, and you can make out the 469/500 on it. I am looking at it on a large monitor, if your screen is small, you might not see it as well. Any surprise that he doesn't put the number right in the auction?
  • Options
    Can someone actually confirm that it is card 469/500 that is in the BGS 9.5 holder before you guys continue to slam to guy? I'm not defending him or anything.......I would just like confirmed proof that it is the same card from the beginning of this thread.
    I can't see the #/500 because the scan is too small, and he never says what it is in his description.

Eagle
  • Options
    I think I'm going to copy that auction (the raw form) as well as the new auction and send it to Beckett to let them know exactly how much they suck. I think we should all do that.
    I'm glad I don't buy any BGS cards or send to them anymore. I sold all my BGS stuff and no longer have any affiliation with their product or magazine.

Eagle
  • Options
    Hey for all you guys who think this is only a BGS thing...check this out....

Before....

Wade #03/10 PSA 9

After the dealer submits it.....

Wade #03/10 PSA 10

Same freaking card.....different person submitting (this guy sends cards in with express service)...low and behold it moves a grade. Please don't even bother saying this is a modern card and it can be boarderline etc. This guy has done this crap over and over. I sold him quite a few Mint cards and all of them flipped to Gem Mints except a card that was too thick to alter (1998 SPX basketball).

CB4
  • Options
    ranchranch Posts: 341
    Hey, Alex, how are your Raptors doing? Oops, oh yeah, I forgot, they failed to make the playoffs.

Do you still collect Chris Bosh cards? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • Options
    Oh Ranch.....I wanted the Raps to miss the playoffs...there was nothing to them making it now (only to get killed by a top seed). As for Bosh...I'm still buying his stuff and if you actually watched their games you can see he is going to be the leader of the Raptors. The kid is only 19 (100x more mature than you by the way) and is already leading them and playing out of position (he is a PF not a Center).

Back on topic the real topic Ranch (stop stalking me on every freaking thread!).....I'm talking about Cards here and how BGS and PSA let @holes like unklbnz make $$$ by pulling off scams like this.

CB4
  • Options
    Vincecarder, nice work uncovering the Wade. I can't believe he is dumb enough to do this with numbered cards bought on Ebay for all to see! But, seeing this done with a PSA slab really is unsettling to me. What can possibly be the explanation for the 9 to 10 transformation?

• Options
    The only way that Chris Bosh will ever be "successful" is if he dresses like a woman and becomes your girlfriend.
  • Options
    ctsoxfan....this isn't the first example of this guy pulling this crap off. If you track him over a few months you will see he does this a lot. The big thing is that he doesn't even use another Ebay user account. Buys it with the same name and a few days later it's a Gem Mint. I can't believe it. This guy should write a book on how to grade your cards because he can spot a Gem Mint card (even if it has damage, it's a lower graded card or from a small scan on the net). I'm starting to lose hope with grading...more and more unklbnz's will come around and mess up everything.

Ranch...do I even have to bother with you.....just look at the guy dunking under the CB4.....going to be an allstar...write it down ranch because I will be reminding you when he does!

CB4
  • Options
    >>What can possibly be the explanation for the 9 to 10 transformation? <<

It's not that uncommon. I've resubmitted 9s (should of been a 10 in the first place), and about 50% of the time it came back a 10.

If this guy is that good of a trimmer; the 9 might of had a spec of white (something very miniscule on corners) that he can slice off. Or slightly rough edges.....not a problem for the Ronco Super Duper Slicer. Centering doesn't seem to be a problem as it's a borderless card.

Man, this is making me sick. I'm gonna get rid of everything and just play video games.

Eagle
  • Options

<< <i>Hey for all you guys who think this is only a BGS thing...check this out....

Before....

Wade #03/10 PSA 9

After the dealer submits it.....

Wade #03/10 PSA 10

Same freaking card.....different person submitting (this guy sends cards in with express service)...low and behold it moves a grade. Please don't even bother saying this is a modern card and it can be boarderline etc. This guy has done this crap over and over. I sold him quite a few Mint cards and all of them flipped to Gem Mints except a card that was too thick to alter (1998 SPX basketball). >>

VC, seller's probably in this board. Seller ended the auction early.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    Either that or someone emailed him from the boards and showed him this thread.
    CB4
  • Options
    Wow, that's kind of freaky!! lol.

Nice detective work, Alex...let's hope this guy doesn't come after you now...image
  • Options
    How about that...yet, the Lebron still remains up for now.
  • Options
    Has PSA ever responded to how sellers like this guy presumably and routinely trim cards and get them into PSA holders? This seems to be a bigger problem here than anyone wants to admit (as the thread below might also indicate)...

Trimmed cards graded by PSA: Network 54 forum

Numerous grading companies rightfully are bashed for grading trimmed cards. I fully understand that any grading company can occasionally miss one, but it seems based on these threads that it's somehow happening a little more routinely for certain sellers doing business with PSA than any of us would like to admit.

If PSA has addressed this somewhere, can someone please point me to the thread? Thanks
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    ouch.

This just reinforces some deep seated fears I've always had with the card grading companies. At worst, we're looking at a very sinister connection between the graders and submitters who buy raw cards, dice'em up and get back 'gem mint' beauties. At best, the graders are incapable of spotting trimmed cards and in the process, subsidizing the fraudulent card doctors.

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    Now does anyone see that PSA is just as incapable as the next grading company? They are as guilty of grading altered cards as BGS. Please don't tell me that even PSA makes mistakes. If PSA is the best, why can't they spot trimmed cards? Like I've said before, PSA needs to have a tolerance-based grading system. "PSA 9 +/- 1 Grade," or "PSA 10 or Trimmed." Since I just sell cards and don't collect it doesnt' matter that much to me. It's just the principle of it though. Too many people on here have too many PSA cards to really see what is happening.

• Options
    And now, like the Wade auction, the Lebron 469/500 card is gone...not even up a day! Caught red handed.

What will he do with it now?
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Out of the six recently submitted cards I looked up, he had two rejected by psa for trimming (#'s 50038519 and 50038520). Both these certification #'s were between two cards he recently sold on ebay. I also saw three rejected cards whose certification #'s were closely behind an '84 donruss pete rose psa 10 he sold. Two of them were 1975 topps pete rose cards, so it would appear they were in the same submission. That isn't enough evidence to definatively prove anything, but it was all I had time for.

But what ticks me off about these grading companies is that once someone establishes a HISTORY of submitting trimmed cards, their account should be flagged and ALL of their cards should be inspected by top graders. If all or most of their trimmed cards were rejected, they'd move on to some other grading company.
  • Options
    I continue to be impressed with this board. You guys do some major detective work. This type of stuff should be the biggest story out there, but it isn't. I'd love to do a story on this, but unfortnately, who would dare run it? The turnaround time for the Lebron is disturbing. I guess the people on this board are going to have to begin to ask themselves what can be done about this.
  • Options
    It took 14 days to get from original seller back to ebay in a 9.5 grade. That's 11 mailing days if you count the day he made the purchase online. The card was orginally in Minnesota. It then had to get to the questioned seller in Orange County, Calif. From there it had to get to Beckett in Dallas and back to California. That just doesn't add up for the time period of 11 days. What are we missing and what does this imply?
  • Options

<< <i>It took 14 days to get from original seller back to ebay in a 9.5 grade. That's 11 mailing days if you count the day he made the purchase online. The card was orginally in Minnesota. It then had to get to the questioned seller in Orange County, Calif. From there it had to get to Beckett in Dallas and back to California. That just doesn't add up for the time period of 11 days. What are we missing and what does this imply? >>

Probably submitted in a card show.
    RIP Snow
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    With same day grading and FedEx overnight shipping all the way around (including from the origianl seller) the time frame would not be a problem.
  • Options

<< <i>But what ticks me off about these grading companies is that once someone establishes a HISTORY of submitting trimmed cards, their account should be flagged and ALL of their cards should be inspected by top graders. If all or most of their trimmed cards were rejected, they'd move on to some other grading company. >>

This is a great point, but I don't know if any grading company would turn away the dollars in the name of integrity. I would hope PSA has taken note of this seller by now (BGS fans will continue to buy BGS graded crap and live in blissful ignorance), and will screen his future submissions with the highest degree of inspection possible.
  • Options
    This seller doesn't care about expense...he goes all out with shipping (overnight courier) as well as grading (1 day or whatever the fastest method is).

The point is this guy can pull this crap off with both BGS and PSA. There are alot of people who don't like BGS but it still is the top company for modern cards. But this guy can pull it off with PSA too....that's the scarry thing. How long have dealers like this guy existed?!?! Basically can turn around and buy any card and flip it into a higher grade.
    CB4
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gdnitenow@aol.com Add to Address Book
    Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 01:27:01 EDT
    Subject: Re: Question from eBay Member: 2003 SP Authentic Lebron James RC BGS 9.5 WOW ...
    To: mesablanca1110@yahoo.com

It is 481
    thanks >>

I couldn't read the number for sure on the graded card but the seller is providing this number - if tipped off, he may be giving me a line.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    The guy was tipped off from ranch. That's why all the auctions were pulled.
    CB4
  • Options

<< <i>The guy was tipped off from ranch. That's why all the auctions were pulled. >>

That's right, you got me, Alex. I collect modern basketball cards and I work along with this seller(unklbnz) and we both doctor cards together and submit them to BGS and PSA. Remember when you saw me in the summer of 2002? Remember all the gold chains I was wearing and the diamond ring I showed you? Well, now you know how I earn my millions...you're kidding me, right? Since when did I ever give a crap about modern basketball cards or grading? You know I have like only 10 valuable cards in my collection, so why point your finger at me? You just love putting all the blame on me, don't you? Doing that just makes you feel good, eh? Hey, I know you're just upset because your Raptors failed to make the playoffs and your boyfriend, Chris Bosh, didn't do that much either, but there's no need to take your anger out on other people.

And another thing. Alex just can't stand seeing other people making easy money. I mean this seller, unklbnz, is a big time crook and what he's doing is not right at all, I agree that he should be prosecuted, however, he's making easy money and probably has enough cash and more bling bling than Alex. And, hey, I am pretty sure that if Alex knew how to get doctored cards past grading companies, he would definitely do it! Who wouldn't? Why would anyone say "no" to thousands and thousands of dollars? And why wouldn't Alex want to make his wallet fatter? I mean, hey, it's human nature. Plus he's only a low class computer graphic designer and he himself admitted to me that they earn just about enough money to get a loaf of bread on the dinner table each night, right Alex? I still saved that PM you sent to me, so don't bother telling us how you earn $200K+ a year, and how rich you are. And don't get me wrong, all you ever do is insult me, especially over the fact that I spend little money on cards, and how much richer you are than me and all the profit you make...blah, blah, blah...but in real life, Alex, you're nothing but a bum.

Remember the saying, rich guys NEVER brag about their profits and income. Only low class losers like you do.

Have a nice day, image
    Ranch
  • Options
    ranch - what do you mean who wouldn't pass off altered cards if they could make thousands of dollars? uhh...people with morals, ethics, etc. People with integrity. Those sound like foreign concepts to you. You make a lame argument, but it's good to know what camp you stand in. I'm no bigtime dealer/ collector, but four years ago I took in a Montana rookie to Beckett, my favorite card by the way, only to have it returned as "trimmed." Now I could have easily mitigated some of my disappointment by selling the raw card on Ebay to at least get something for it, but I threw it away. I didn't want to screw someone over just because I had gotten ripped off. The example is a small one, but the idea is the same. There are people out there who have character and class. Unfortunately, your post doesn't label you as one of them.
  • Options
    First off - Mike, he definitely lied to you. If you enlarge the pic, the 469 is visible. Second, great work Snowball on that one, this is actually so widespread and dishonest now, that I am afraid something bad is going to happen to the value of our graded cards. I really hope the grading companies are watching this closely, because this could really be the beginning of the end for them (and the value of our collections bought with hard earned money). Third, I agree with woodson28fan, where is your integrity ranch? All you have done on this thread is distribute personal insults, when this thread is about much bigger and important things than that. I don't know what your issues are with vincecarder (don't really care), but I am sure no one wants to read about them here.
  • Options
    Hahaha....oh ranch always full of BS. I have been an honest seller and grader all my life. The thing with this guy is he ruins it for all the honest people submitting cards (people who don't alter cards). What's the use of getting cards graded when there is a guy who can trim them and get Gem Mint grades...he is doing it well enough that graders don't notice (or are getting paid off to let them go?).

Anyways ranch...this is why I have blocked you from my PM's and still wonder why the mod's have not given you the boot off the boards. You provide NO useful knowledge to the hobby, you only like to bash and use other aliases on here (as you told me you do in person when your daddy held your hand for our card trades). Get off the boards man...people want to hear about scammers like unklbnz, not zit faced punks like you.
    CB4
  • Options
    joelwalterjoelwalter Posts: 148 ✭✭
    THAT LEBRON 9.5 IS SAD! THE CENTERING IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO PERFECT AND IT'S EVEN MORE OBVIOUS THAN THE FIRST. IT'S EVEN MORE OBVIOUS THAN THAT PRIOR CARD FROM A FEW MONTHS BACK.

I HAVE THIS STRANGE FEELING THAT SOMEONE EMPLOYED AT BGS IS GRADING HIS FRIENDS' CARDS FOR HIM, OR ELSE MAYBE THIS GUY IS WORKING FOR THEM AND GRADING HIS OWN STUFF.
    Joel C
  • Options

<< <i>Is it just me or do athletes no longer know how to spell out their names.

I can just picture these guys drawing these doodles on these cards and laughing their butts off. >>

Don't they charge per letter now at autograpgh shows?
  • Options
    I have been on to these guys for some time.

They have , or some phony in their name, have come on to BGS several times in an attempt to discredit my and other's interest in them.

Jason knows what he saw...I have direct admissions from a cohort who bluntly said they trim.

The user name TonyLegit interests me.....last summer, one Tony Dangel from Akron Ohio contacted me via e-mail after I purchased from his user name of "Boxer669" several Dontrelle Willis cards.

Being three months into Ebay & full of naivete I purchased 8 BGS9.5 Willis cards from him, including the first BGS 9.5; three months ago, it was intimated I purchased "trimmed cards". I still have them.

Tony, whose literacy and spelling are on a par with a third grader suddenly was flush with cash months ago when his Boxer669 ID was buying up items everywhere. I have often theorized with friends on this board ( Roach & JeffMEsq ) that there is a loose confederation amongst this group which can be traced from Texas to Akron to Burge & Maryland.

In a traditional sense, it can almost be called a "conspiracy".

None of this garbage surprises me. There was almost a conscious attempt by multiple suspects to turn to PSA within the last 3 weeks as an attempt to relieve pressure and divert attention from BGS manipulations...that is scary if they can succeeed at both venues.

This can destroy graded cards in pursuit of the "unholy" dollars thieved by card alteration.

More people are becoming informed....less people are labeling me as paranoid.

The time will come for action.........soon.......
  • Options
    First of all, happy to see you posting on this Beachbum...nice to have you back. It is largely because of the posts of yourself (and the others you mentioned) that I am now much more aware of this type of stuff going on, and the frequency and ease with which it can be accomplished. This scares me, as I mentioned before, because this is the type of thing which can ruin graded cards pretty much forever, especially if the companies keep looking the other way and not caring about us collectors, who are buying their products with hard-earned real money.

I agree that it seems like the aforementioned scum are now trying to divert some "business" to PSA, but the sad part is, they succeeded in getting some past them too (see the Wade card in this thread). I don't know what else we can do, but when the time comes for action...count me in. I love watching crooks get what is coming to them.