Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cleaning?

What are the tell, tell signs of cleaning/whizzing? Does anyone have pictures which show the difference?
Coins, shiny coins!

Comments

• Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Here is some useful info on a whizzed coin.

Whizzed IKE

PURPLE!
  • I'm not sure that's a really good example of a truly "whizzed" coin. It appears more like a rub than anything in my opinion. maybe an aggressive rub with a fine piece of scotch brite ?
    I think a "whizzed" coin has more of a rough polished appearance ? Almost a streaking of the surface?

I'm certainly no expert, i've never tried it. I work in a Precision Sheet Metal shop and we use wire wheels, wire brushes ... etc ...
    I've seen the effect they have on Aluminum ...etc... I envision that's the same look one would see on a silver coin ?

I'm sure there's someone else on the board that will enlighten us?

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    The number one sign to look for on a cleaned coin is hairlines.

Russ, NCNE
  • MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Whizzing is anytime a dremel like tool is used to create a false luster and to try to hide damage. Russ's advice is the best. Hairlines are always a sure giveaway to a coin that has been cleaned or wiped.

There was quite a bit of whizzing done to the Ike in the image. The thing that stands out the most on the Ike is where the mint mark was removed and that was more than just a "aggressive rub" with a scotch bright pad. The mint mark was removed and then whizzed over to try to make it appear that no work had been done to the coin.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Also whizzing disrupts the normal look of a coin's luster. If you compare a whizzed coin to a non-whizzed one you can always tell the difference. The best way to learn, though, is to go to a show and ask the dealer to show you some whizzed examples and how they could identify them as whizzed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file