Home U.S. Coin Forum

Albums or ?..... Best ..... Worst ?? Opinions please?

What would you recommend to a person who is collecting raw coins, and wants to be able to easily look at them on occasion ?
Albums? Flips ? ....... etc ....... (what brand/type album, ....etc....)
Long term storage ?

Pros and Cons.

Thanks,

Comments

• J.Kriek
    Morgan Dollar Aficionado & Vammer
    Current Set: Morgan Hit List 40 VAM Set
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look on eBay for Library of Coins albums. They have been out of production since the early 80's but were excellent albums in their day. I prefer them to any currently available type. There were plenty made over a period of 20 plus years and many go quite cheaply.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Gardmaster Albums for my off-center dimes and cent clips, and I'm very happy. Since my sets are either not round, or coins where I really want to see the whole rim, traditional albums wouldn't work. The prices for these are reasonable, the slides are archive-quality mylar, and you can see the entire coin. Highly recommended.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • DonovanDonovan Posts: 386
    Dansco is the best in my opinion.
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    If I were to collect raw coins that were in 2X2's I would go with something along this line.

Eagle

I think the above is a really nice Album to put coins into. It's pricy though. But looks great.

For my set of PCGS Franks I went with this one.

Eagle Certified

For my circulated coinage I went with the H.E Harris coin folders.

PURPLE!
  • MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    The Intercept Shield albums work well. Dansco seems to be the standard, but I have not used them for comparison. My only complaint about the Intercept Shield albums is they don't have spots for the major varieties, or enough blank spots were you could keep them there yourself. Also, on my Jefferson album, which is supposed to include spots for the proofs, they don't have spots for the early proofs (1938-42). Do the Dansco's or others have these?
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Mark

i use Intercept Shield albums, also. they have a spot for the early proofs, the problem is that the Mint issued two coins from the Philadelphia Mint in those years!! image you simply have the hole filled with a business strike coin. pop that sucker out and push in the proof issue.

al h.image
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Dansco albums but I've heard the Intercept Albums are first class.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • I have my Morgan, Peace Dollar, and Lincoln cent ('09 - current) collections in the Intercept Shield Albums with the protective outer covers. The advertised protection is somewhat re-assuring but only time will tell if it's realistic. I did not collect any toners for any of the sets, so we'll see in 25 yrs or so?
    My main worry is the plastic slides. They don't seem to press on the surface of the coin but i worry about possible abrasion?
    What i started to do with other sets is to try to collect every coin in a section and then put them all in at the same time. Hopefully alleviating the possibility of scratching by sliding it in and out too many times.

I appreciate the response i got to my question. Sounds like there are more choices out there than i knew about.

My next, and reason for my initial question, collecting safari is Kennedys. I've started off by purchasing a few 90's coins in what look like choice examples. I never can be 100% sure of course until i get them in hand, but hopefully i won't be disappointed and will be on my way to a nice set. Any words of wisdom are genuinely appreciated. (and of course help with auction or sale links to point me in the right direction)

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Regular Danscos are good if you want your SAEs to tone around the edges after a year or so. Go Intercept Shield.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Eagle Modern Comm Albums and Airtites.

Bill

09/07/2006
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    Old Wayte Raymond boards with the original albums I think are best. There's nothing quite like watching the toning slowly occur. I also like the Dansco albums and their distinctive type of color. If you want blast white coins then I would try the Intercept albums.

Michael

• Thanks for all your responses and helpful info image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file