Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is it me, or is something funny

Has anyone ever noticed that when you put a (Engelhard is what I used) 1oz silver round next to a 1oz silver bar, it looks as if the round has twice the metal? Is there more metal or is this the perfect optical illusion?

Comments

• Weigh it to find out.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Optical illusion... image They might be the same "length" but one could be thiner... and a circle with a circumfrence that is equal to the perimeter of a rectangle... the circle has a greater area...
    -George
    42/92
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Also the thickness of the coin varies and is quite a bit less than the rims in general.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • A circle is the most efficent (IE smallest Diameter) way to present a certain area, just a sphere is the most efficent way 3-dimensionally. So a ball will look larger optically than a cube of the same area.. Basically your eye tends to discount areas "hidden" by angles and corners, and so you see the "bulk" of the the area of the item.. with a parallelogram (getting fancy) your eye subconsiously lops off the corners which it doesn't do with the silver round..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file