Home U.S. Coin Forum

collecting style

I don't know why I can't get excited by date and mint mark collecting. Everything has to have a twist foe me to appreciate it. Like the modern sms coins in pop. top grades. High grade doubled dies or dramatic rpm's. A top missing mint mark set to me would be the ultimate. Even the AH Kenedy's or patterns. This is what still gets me excited about coin collecting. Joe

Comments

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It takes all kinds Joe...

That is what makes the hobby so nice....

Just think if the drabness of beanie baby collecting... image
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    *shudder* ...Thanks LT... image
    -George
    42/92
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    joeyuk: In my own case, I got started with Type Coin collecting, and gravitated towards the specific coin series that I developed an interest in.

As I purchased more coins within those specific series, I began to want to purchase different dates and mintmarks to expand my knowledge of those specific series.

As John said, that's one of the things that makes the hobby fun and challenging to all who participate in it. I find it interesting to see what coin series, & types others collect to see what the common theme is in their collection.

Also in this digital age, Coin Photography has evolved into effective way for us to share our collections with others on this forum and elsewhere. Sharing coin images with others can really add to one's enjoyment of collecting.

The main thing is to enjoy the hobby and have fun collecting! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Like the modern sms coins...Even the AH Kenedy's...This is what still gets me excited about coin collecting. Joe >>

Listen to this guy. He's a sharp cookie!

Russ, NCNE

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Ever since I was a kid, I've always loved collecting by date and mint mark though it seems to me that collecting by type is more logical.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • The true rarities are nice. Take the 1990 proof no s cent. There might be like 100 of them. Or the 1998 Kenedy matte finish half. Only 63,000 minted, but to get one in ms-70 is a thrill. And I would feel the same way about most pre 1970 coins in deep cameo.
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Joe
    You're a collector ?imageimage
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    TTT
    I thought I'd get a rise out of Joe.imageimage
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list