Home U.S. Coin Forum

Most boring series...

Which series do you dislike the most?

For me it's "pennies." Cents for you purists! I just can't understand people paying thousands of dollars for pennies. Copper has no "sex appeal."
Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans

Comments

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Sacs... SBAs...
    -George
    42/92
  • Ikes.
  • I like cents for the varieties. They also tone very pretty.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I actually think that every series has something to offer. I like some better than others, but even Frankies can be tolerated.

Russ, NCNE
  • byergobyergo Posts: 586
    Frankies are usually butt ugly. What is wrong with those planchets? They tone butt ugly as well. Usually no luster at all. UGLY.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    It's the: Which series do I have no interest in collecting question.

I'll say Probably a toss up between Ikes, SBA's, Sacs.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • My Frankies are not Butt ugly...matter of fact they have lots of luster...you must be looking at the wrong Frankies. See all Frankies are not created equal...
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most boring series...Which series do you dislike the most?

without a doubt it's Morgan Bullion coins. i won't argue the fact that it's immensely popular with collectors and seems to entrance newcomers as well as old salts. the majority of the coins are just way to common through MS65 and the design way to bland to interest me.

but hey, i like Jefferson Nickels, so waht do i know, right??

al h.image
  • The most boring coin for me is the lincoln cents. image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    You guys really think Lincolns are boring and have no "sex appeal"?

Russ, NCNE
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    Jefferson nickels with Ikes right behind.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Clad Roosevelt dimes. Boring design, small size and common.
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    Roosevelt Dimes
    Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Posts: 2,697
    I don't think that any of the series are boring - there are several that I have no interest in collecting - like Ikes and SBA's
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Barber nickels
  • KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics Russ !!!!!!

My vote for most boring ......... Ike
  • anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking SBA's but the above mentioned Roosevelt Dimes are more boring in my mind.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Three Cent Silvers. You can barely see the damn things, and when you do take the time the design is mind-numbingly dull. It jams me up that there's three distinct types of them. I can barely take one.
  • Seated Liberty dimes, quarters, halves....the dang things go on FOREVER !!!
  • byergobyergo Posts: 586
    I'll agree with the above, that especially SBA's, Ike's, Sac's, and rosy's are generally pretty dull as well. Don't forget Shriver commems! ;-)
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557

<< <i>Barber nickels >>

imageimageimage
    -George
    42/92
  • Shield Nickels bleh..
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JrGMan2004: Did you know that Charles Barber designed the Liberty "V" Nickel ?? image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    LARGE cents. Walking by the cases of them at shows makes me think of black checkers.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace dollars are a series that has never appealed to me...even in very high grade.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Roosevelt dimes, SBAs and Sacs don't have appeal to me, but if I had to choose one of the three to collect, it would be SBAs

• MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Ikes, and Roosevelt dimes. Please take real people off the coins! Nobody is a pretty as Miss Liberty.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • To me it's the SBA's.....IKE's..then the Frankies....I really don't see many SAB's even posted here that look worth a darn. Does anyone have any?

• prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Here is a standard SBA

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Roosevelt dimes followed by modern day commemoratives.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Nickel three cent pieces don't offer much for variety collectors. They are cool coins though.

What do I most dread looking at? I'd have to say Lincoln Memorial cents.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.

• << <i>Seated Liberty dimes, quarters, halves....the dang things go on FOREVER !!! >>

Is there a doctor in the house?
    Go well.
  • EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Morgan dollars. After that, the dead presidents and p.c. coins.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Bless those who collect them, and nothing personal, but ... SBAs and SACs, with Ikes a distant third. Most post-1975 proofs of any denomination are as boring as all get out, too...
  • For me it's Ikes. Never did care for the looks of'em.
    Next would have to be SBA's. I realize they that the design was an attempt to stay true to form, but dayum!!.. lie to me a litttle,... hollywood'ize' it.. ALOT.

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    W/O a doubt, Morgans. They're a dime a dozen - cases full of them every show. imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Washington Quarters unless they are toned.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightly Toned SLQ's are truly ugly. Walkers are right up there also.

Real Gag material.

Ken
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>W/O a doubt, Morgans. They're a dime a dozen - cases full of them every show. imageimage >>

You beat me to it. I agree.
  • tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    How can you say Morgans are boring? Just because there are a lot of them around? Unbelievable. I like the series with lots of the so I can afford them.

If you want a boring series, try wreath cents. Only one date, no major varieties. Just because it does not have more varieties does not mean they are not well liked. For me silver/nickel three cent pieces are boring. Even the SBA has appeal for its reverse. I remember the landing on the moon and I can relate to it.

Now the best series is, of course a tie between indian cents and the seated liberty series.

Tom
    Tom

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tj:

I'll cast the tie breaker - it's IHC's!!imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • MS Franklins with toning
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • I'm gonig to have to cast my vote for Clad Roosies... it's the size thing that I can't get past.
    You shout in your sleep.
    Perhaps the price is just too steep.
    Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
    You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
    Just one man beneath the sky,
    Just two ears, just two eyes.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that some feel that Morgans are boring. Less competition for the ones I want.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file