Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who designed this pattern?

I saw this pattern half on Heritage's site. Can someone tell me who the designer was?

edited to add link

Linky
J'har

Comments

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a William Barber design to me.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    It's a Longacre design, executed by William Barber.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Longacre was the designer of that one.

Edited to add: Kranky beat me to it by less than 60 seconds.image
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Yes, of course, it is a Longacre design, and is referred to as the seated indian princess. This motif was used on some pattern dollars dated 1870 and 1872, and for many of the half dimes, dimes, quarters, half dollars and dollar patterns dated 1871. All of these denominations were generally struck in silver, copper and aluminum. Moroever, there are 4 basic configurations, combining the with stars and without stars obverse with the regular and standard issue reverses. Some of the dollars come with additional variations, such as the number of stars on the globe, plain and reeded edges, and slight variations on the design of Liberty.

All of the combinations are very rare, generally low R-7, with 8-15 pieces known, sometimes less. Full red copper pieces are very tough to come by. These patterns are very attractively designed, at least to my eye. Overall, they seem to combine the best combination of eye appeal and affordability, although the subject piece would seem to indicate that affordability may be an attribute of the past.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file