Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question about Patterns

VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
I've been checking out a lot of cool pattern coins--are they "coins"?--and I'd love to have some, but everyone I've seen is in the thousands of dollars. For those of you who are knowledgable about patterns, is it possible to collect (some) of them on a modest budget? Say under a thousand dollars per?

Thanks.

Comments

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Others can answer better, but I think some can be had for that amount. The popular (or rare) ones go for much more, but not all. Go to www.patterncoins.com for a look (and email Rick there). Rick will certainly get you going in the right direction.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    Andy Lustig might be able to help you. You can check out his website:

www.uspatterns.com image
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure that some of the smaller denomination standard silver designs can be had for under 1000$...

Talk to Rick Kay, Boiler, Andy Lustig.... among others...
    John
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    PM sent.

As the other guys have said, a few designs in PF60-65 can be had for under $1000, and circulated ones can as well.
  • JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    In today's marketplace, patterns under $1000 would be limited to circulated coins and maybe a couple of less than choice minor patterns.

Patterns can be an exciting addition to any existing collection of regular coinage, but to collect patterns as the main focus, a collection of coins that cost $1000, or so, would not have many coins in it.

I welcome any other questions that this may raise.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • VarlisVarlis Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses, everybody. Patterns seem to be a really exciting area, but from the little that I know, it seems that Julian is right about the limited availability of relatively-inexpensive patterns. I guess the next step is to get the book mentioned on the pattern websites people have linked and read up!

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some REALLY GOOD ways to collect patterns for under a grand a coin. Unfortunately, most pattern collectors in that price range end up buying mostly problem coins, which is NOT a good idea. For all it's worth, I'd suggest cent patterns of the 1850's. If you don't need gems and can live with some circs in your collection, you can keep your average cost around $1200 and build a pretty nice collection over a number of years.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree ....given the huge rise in patterns past several years...perhaps save up and just buy 1 or 2 better ones....sort of as a type set....good luck
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Eureka is right. Always avoid problem coins like the plague. Whatever your budget is, try to collect something at a level where you can purchase choice material for the grade and be a true connoisseur.

Patterns are very cool but you might want to satisfy yourself by buying the Bowers and Pollock pattern books instead.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a cool way to "collect" patterns on a budget of well under $1000.

Buy each of the major pattern books staring with the Adams-Woodlin, then Judd then Pollack then of course the latest Bowers book. You bring all of these books at one time to a coin show and you will get more curious looks than if you had a $5000 pattern!!

These books have also held their value quite nicely over the years and in fact, appreciated as well. So in effect, you will be buying these books for FREE!

You can spend countless hours just learning and learning!

A neat way to collect patterns is to buy one of each denomination as a denoinational type set. As Andy and others have mentioned start with the smaller denomination and work your way up as your $$ increases someday.

But then again, one pattern can do as well!!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file