Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need advice

My father died several years ago and left me a box of various proof sets, mint sets and proof/mint commemorative coins, mostly from the 70's and 80's. He bought the standard 5 sets from the Mint for a number of years and also bought a lot of the commemorative issues in the 80's. I don't care to keep them and would like to sell the lot to a dealer, but it's hard for me to get a sense of their value. I don't think any of the individual items are particularly valuable, but after looking over this site, I get a sense that if any of these sets are particularly good strikes or otherwise in better than average condition, there could be a meaningful value difference--at least worth knowing about. It isn't worth sending them in for grading, but I might like to take them to a reputable dealer in Charlotte, NC for valuation. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Scratchy,

First of all, congrats on finding your way to this forum!!! Secondly, turn on your "PM" feature within your profile. Thirdly, PM me or provide an inventory to give us an idea on what you have. You might want to inventory all that you have on the Buy, Sell and Trade forum.

Jim
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Scratchy, many members on this forum are buyers for the material you mentioned. I'm in Greensboro, and several other forum members are in state, so if you'll turn on your PM function, I'll send you a list of contacts and have the others do the same. If your 5-packs are unopened, leave them that way. They'll command a premium when you're ready to sell. Once you have an idae of their worth, you might want to list them on the buy,sell,trade forum on this board. You'll have no sellers fees and you can price them yourself.

Don
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Maybe some people from around your area can post here and help out. Inventory everything though so you have some structure and not a mess of coins lying around...
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Yes, please provide a list of what you have here.

• Thanks to all. I have enabled the PM function, although I don't know how it's used, but I guess I'll learn. I would appreciate any contact information for dealers. I will inventory the collection and post it here when I get through with it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file