Home U.S. Coin Forum

Someone please explain why you collect Type sets?

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
What's the appeal? Please explain your rational. Many of us appreciate your opinions.

M.

Comments

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Variety of different coin designs.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A brief survey of the history of US coinage, all in one book

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• um ..... Okay, but it's only why I like collecting my type set. I think all US coins are fascinating, and I love seeing (and holding in my hands) a small portion of this country's history as exemplified by the large variety of its coin types over the last two centuries plus.

Take a look at the evolution of the lowly one cent coin. From a large sized chunk of copper with a rather wild rendition of Lady Liberty in 1793 (some hairdo, huh?) through the Liberty Caps, the Draped Bust, the short-lived Classic Head design (my personal favorite) the matronly "middle dates" to the more refined Braided Hair design ending in 1857, and that just takes you through the "large" cents. The few small cent designs following, and all the reasons for downsizing the cent and the effective demonitization of the the large cents just adds to the fascination for me.

One can, IMHO, observe the same transitions in designs and coin sizes with virtually all of the other US series. And the stranger denominations (from a modern perspective) like the trimes, two-cent pieces, the twenty cent piece which were all short-lived just cause me to want to "dig deeper" into the historic reasons for the use of those denominations.

I've rambled a bit, I'm sure, but I just LOVE trying to build a small, but rather complete history of our own coinage that I can keep in my house, or safe deposit box, and enjoy holding from time to time. Makes me feel ............ I dunno .............. "connected"?
    You're now official, Bubba 4/24/04
  • .......... and I still love your Type Set, Baley!!!!!

Tom
    You're now official, Bubba 4/24/04
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    I wish the mint would start going back to having liberty and what not on the obverse of the coins. My Dad had the Joy of carrying around morgan dollars as a kid. All I get is a POS sac dollar that noone seems to want. All the older coins have so much more beauty in designs. the Idea of "make'em as cheap as possible" just doesn't fit with older coinage.
    I love that type set. I would like to have one of those. Perhaps after i get my Frankie set done I'll work on a small type set of maybe Halves or something.

PURPLE!
  • I am pretty new to the hobby and decided a type set would be the place to start. I think I had a number of reasons.

First, I didn't have anything else I could think of collecting. The type set seemed like a logical place to start to get a chance to learn about the different series and "discover" what my likes and dislikes were. I think I would be more likely to get bored, at least as a novice collector, to have the majority of my coins looking the same. The variety is very appealing.

Second, I think type set collecting is a good exposure to the coin market, as I am not focused on one niche. As I am looking for a specific type, I can learn where to find good examples and who has a good variety of coins. So far I have acquired coins from my local coin shop, coin shows, online dealers, and ebay.

Another aspect of type collecting that appeals to me is the idea that was expressed in a previous post. I am getting a "survey" of the history of US coinage and therefore a history of the country. The coins reflect the culture and values of the times.
    Dave - Durham, NC
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Baley. A picture is worth a thousand words image.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
    Thanks guys, another answer to the initial query is that I like to collect a type set that can be all laid out with the coins next to each other, so I can see how the designs flowed one into the other. I can compare and contrast the different coins, which to me is much more interesting than going through a series where the only thing that changes is the date. And I prefer an album to slabs or individual flips as a storage method because of the convenience of handling, storing, displaying, and transporting (an album looks just like an ordinary book, to the casual glance)

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it's just one of many directions I have fun with.

It's really hard to beat the looks of a well matched type set.image

It's a great way for new folks to start up as well.

Too many get hung up early on one type and later change directions.

A type set is a great goal to start with till the next one comes along
    and the next one and the next oneimage
    Larry

uh oh, you all got me started talking about type sets, now you're in trouble.

on the subject of upgrades, those who have been here a while know that these coins aren't all the ones that used to be in this book when it was first completed. Upgrading the coins one at a time is one of the most fun things about a project like this, almost as much fun as finally filling that last hole. I've occasionally posted updates where I showed pics of a new coin, and if you look at the pics above, you can probably pick out as well as I can which coins are next due for a bit of an upgrade....

edit: now that I look back on it, a few of them have already been changed, as well as the WR shield nickel put back in. Going to have to make some fresh images! On the plus side, I'm a little better at taking pics now image

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I just think its looks cool when you have an interesting variety of coins featuring different designs, sizes, origins, compositions, etc.

Actually, I never really understood why people collect by date and mintmark - but to each his own.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Because a 1953 Franklin looks just like a 1952 Franklin, except the date is different
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6

• << <i>Because a 1953 Franklin looks just like a 1952 Franklin, except the date is different >>

Precisely.

Looks like Baley can't resist a chance to post his type set and put mine to shame. image
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • I'd rather pull out my coin collection and see lots of different, beautiful designs rather than saying "Okay, here's a 1958 penny with an S on it, here's a 1958 penny with a D on it, here's a 1959 penny with and S on it, here's a 1959 penny with a D on it..." I've never seen the appeal in collecting coins that look the same except for one or two digits in the date, and mintmark that's hard to see with the naked eye.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I like to see all the different designs that has been made and how badly we need to get away from the Dead President's Club.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys, another answer to the initial query is that I like to collect a type set that can be all laid out with the coins next to each other, so I can see how the designs flowed one into the other. I can compare and contrast the different coins, which to me is much more interesting than going through a series where the only thing that changes is the date. And I prefer an album to slabs or individual flips as a storage method because of the convenience of handling, storing, displaying, and transporting (an album looks just like an ordinary book, to the casual glance) >>

Good answer, Baley!

I have been working on my U.S. type set for 18 years for many of your same reasons. However, the problem for type set collectors is who defines completion of the type set. The Dansco album that you and I own conveniently omits some important type coins I will probably never be able to afford (Chain Cent, 1796 Quarter, Draped Bust small eagle half dollar) unless I buy a Gallery Mint replica for the sake of filling a hole (I have done this, despite the copy of an 18th century design sticking out like a shiny sore thumb in my album). My previous type set album omitted gold entirely but had places for my no stars Seated Liberty Dime and Half Dime and my Flowing Hair half dollar.

The Dansco album also omits $3 gold, which is a coin I would never buy raw. The registry set competitions for complete U.S. type sets include the $3 gold, along with Is there an album "that looks like an ordinary book, to the casual glance" which offers a better compromise between completion and budget?

The complete U.S. Type Set 1792-1964 as defined by the PCGS registry set will always be out of my budget, since I refuse to sell my soul to fund my coin collection, do not have wealthy relatives, and do not play the lottery. This definition of a type set has four distinct half dime types before the first hole in the Dansco album, and includes lots of pricey early gold issues. Some of these high-priced types are historically important as well, and can't be ignored as patterns calndestine issues, so they deserve their place in a complete set.

I would not be as satisfied limiting my scope to 20th century type (which ignores most of my favorite U.S. designs). Instead, I upgrade or add to my type set one coin at a time, as I can, making my own definition of what is essential.

BTW, I have been bitten by the "completist" bug many times, and have enjoyed completing a few "boring" series where only the dates, mintmarks, and minor variities distinguish one coin from the next. At least it's easier to find an acceptable album for something like Barber Dimes than it is to find an acceptable type album.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
    ccex, I agree with you about the omissions of the Dansco and all your other reasoning. I do question the omision of the Draped Bust coins though, since they were minted after 1800 (the album is supposed to be 1800-2000) and the draped bust cent and half cent are included.

The types it is missing would probably be purchased certified and best left that way..

For some of the intermediate early minor types, just before the Dansco album but not as advanced as the PCGS set, there's always the Whitman...

edit: and yes, those are replicas in the small eagle dime, quarter, and half dollar holes image

• SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭
    My reasons:

1. Variety. It's a nice diversion from my Morgan collection.

2. Affordable. Most coins are within my budget, especially if I go down a grade and/or buy common dates.

3. The Dansco type album. It provides a nice "road map" and all the coins listed are achievable.

4. It will keep me busy for a lifetime. I will never finish it. Even when I fill all the holes, I will regularly do upgrades.

I was inspired to start my type set after seeing Baley's. And I'm glad I did. It's a great way to enjoy this hobby. Here's my type set so far.
    Bill
  • SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭

<< <i>Going to have to make some fresh images! >>

Baley, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the updates!
    Bill
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wish the mint would start going back to having liberty and what not on the obverse of the coins. My Dad had the Joy of carrying around morgan dollars as a kid. All I get is a POS sac dollar that noone seems to want. All the older coins have so much more beauty in designs. the Idea of "make'em as cheap as possible" just doesn't fit with older coinage.
    I love that type set. I would like to have one of those. Perhaps after i get my Frankie set done I'll work on a small type set of maybe Halves or something.

PURPLE! >>

????????

I don't get that.....my understanding (I am too young to have carried around a Morgan image ) from listening to others and reading is that one of the MAIN reasons that there are so many unc morgans is because they were left in vaults. They were left in vaults due to their value in silver but also due to the fact that most people did not want to carry them around.

So, maybe in 100 years people will be complaining about their current coinage and whining that you had such a nice coin to carry around?

Was there ANY coin that the people of the day genuinely loved to have and carry around? If so, then why did it get changed or removed from circulation????

I think "the grass is always greener" applies in numismatics.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I like to have one of everything
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭
    Its a great way to learn about ALL the series, not just one. Type set collecting broadens the understanding of numismatics....I will never collects $20 Gold pieces but I have a keen appreciation for the w/oMotto, with Motto, High Relief, and regular St Gaudens types. neat to have one of each....but no more than 1 of each! I've been a collector for almost 30 years and my type set is more fun than any other series I ever collected....and I've done many many of those!

My PCGS 1792-1964 Type Set
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Indian $10, No Motto 8852 1907 $10 No Motto VG10

That just wont do! Crack it out and give it a spin... imageimage
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    I love this thread and I always love the chance to see Baley's Type Sets. I don't know if I can add to what has already been said, but I just find collecting types more challenging.....

Here's my next type set -- an old Watye Raymond album Type Set

Half Cents

1795-1797
    1800-1808
    1809-1829
    1828 - 12 Stars
    1832-1835
    1849 large date
    1850-1857
    1837 token

Cents
    1793 - Chain
    1793 - Wreath
    1793 - Liberty Cap
    1794-1795
    1796 Liberty Cap
    1796 Bust
    1797-1807
    1808-1814
    1816-1828
    1829-1834
    Flying Eagle
    1859 IHC
    1860-1864 IHC
    1864-1909 IHC
    Lincoln Wheat
    Lincoln Memorial
    Lincoln Steel

And that's just the half cents and cents. There's also a spot for an Isabella Quarter and luckily none for a SBA or SAC. image And no gold, but it'll still be extremely challenging.

Michael
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I happen to be a type collector as well.

I consider it similar to being a time traveler.

It is a way to help keep your budget sane by being able to avoid having to collect complete series.

It allows you to purchase coins in areas that are not "white hot" so that you can purchase coins judiciously.

It allows you to be a card carrying member in all of the cliques that are seen within the internet, actual clubs, etc. You might actually attend some of their meetings and enjoy and learn something.

Once you get pretty far along in your type set you will eventually either expand the type set or want to specialize in a certain series. But that is always optional.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well with the demise of the typewriter it is harder and harder to put together a decent type set. Even the newspapers have abandoned "type" and gone to computer generated characters. I guess you could put together a set of computer keys but then the numerals would be more like a set of key dates instead of a type set. image
  • PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I'll chime in with my biggest reason too.

I enjoy the personal aspect of it. All coin collecting is personal of course, and one set of franklines is never identical to the next, but there is a lot more choice in a type set. Let me explain:

If one were to assemble a "set" of say Franklin half dollars (doesnt have to be franklins, just using an example) they'd have to get every date and mintmark, possibly every proof and business strike, or a mix of the two. It's defined rather well. The truly personal aspect comes in the form of toned vs white, strike, full bell, etc.

A type set however, has a LOT more variables to it. You can do first year type, last year type, a mix. I myself am doing "transitional" type, which in and of itself has a million different possibilties. I can choose any year of importance to me, and try to show the most gradual changes in overal design. I can also play around with proofs, MS, toning, and everything else, just like i could in a normal set. To give an idea of what I'm talking about, I'll lay out my basic plan for my type set, which I also house in a dansco album. (lots of cracked slabs laying around the PT household)

I collect first year of issue (where possible) UNLESS:

I'll grab the last issue if another issue was also minted that year. For instance, an 1857 Braided hair large cent instead of an 1840, because it will sit next to the 57 flying eagle cent (two coins of same year) Sometimes it gets a bit more complicated, because three coins will overlap like the half dollars. Lettereed edge AND reeded edge were made in 1836, but lettered edge also overlapped the seated liberty in 1839. Generally in a situation like this, i opt for the more finincially feasible goal, and go with the 1839 lettered edge and 1839 seated half.

I'll collect the last year of issue if the first year doesnt overlap the previous issue, or is otherwise impossibly expensive in the condition I need.

I'll collect the SECOND year of issue, if that is the year the design made a modern change. IE: 1917 type one and type two SLQ. Or 1867 with and without rays nickels. (dont even get me started on the nickels, the overlap there is maddening with the shield two types, liberty head two types, and buffalo two types)

For one year types, or types that overlap with nothing, I'll occaisonally get the rarest, or one of the rarest years in a grade I can afford, instead of the first years. in three cent silvers for instance, I have an 1867 (mintage of 4000) and for the peace dollar hole, i use a 1928 that used to be in a PCGS 64 holder.

some of the guidlines i use for myself. I just have a lot more room to change things to suit my taste that I would if i collected one series.

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file