Home U.S. Coin Forum

I got a hairlined pig in a plastic suit.......is she AT???

tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
Hairlined pig .... I bid on this figuring, it doesnt look too bad, maybe a 62 in reality, only the second one I would own in a NTC tomb. In real life.......in my hands........she is lighter than the pic and sadly.....a very finely hairlined pig. No doubt in my mind toned over to look ok to the eye.....but with a tilt in the right direction and a 4X loop, a sigh of sadness. I was away and missed the five day return, so she is mine. The good thing is I have a saw, some pliers, and an Italian pair of pliers (aka hammer) and some acetone.

Is she AT or NT..........I am voting AT.....and will it dip off. Pics to follow on hairling and post dipping. Thoughts on the bath?

Ohhh and at this piont i have written it off as a loss, but am willing to learn the dip process...outside in the garage that is.

wish me luck
Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

Comments

• Pig? Snort...
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Snort indeep sir.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and sadly.....a hairlined pig >>

It's NTC, did you expect otherwise? I don't see any point to dipping it. Matter of fact, it'll likely look worse post-dip since the hairlining would be much more visible.

Russ, NCNE
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    What Russ said.

We ARE watching you.

But the dipping idea is for reference and learning sake, have photo documentation of its pig-a-tude........kinda learing lesson for me but reference for others in the future.

Take one for the team so to say.

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Still... might be a good candidate to practice dipping with?
    -George
    42/92
    Pig-a-tude...........its royal pigness one might say.
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    You could also use it as a "test mule" if you want to try AT like tonecoin2003 does. Maybe someday you could be as good as them and have your own set of fake rainbows too. It could also help you spot the fakes and you would know what to look for and would know how it was done. Just my fifty cents. Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• The seller has a history of purging his ntc's on unsuspecting newbies quoting prices from Trends/coin world. I bought a bunch from him a year ago and sent every one back. All of them graded 2-3 points lower. Its a crying shame we've got sellers like this.
    Its a foul ball by a fair margin.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    NTC blows chunks! You got a cheap lesson here, NEVER buy an NTC, ACG, SEGS or PCI slab sight unseen, NEVER no matter what!

edited to add: If you are not VERY comfortable with you grading skills, don't even buy them sight-seen!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Aethelred well said..........i think i will go with that advice........................and on to practicing dipping. Practicing AT....my kid has an easy bake oven
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The eBay obverse picture looks like a decent MS64 (hard to tell for sure, of course, without seeing it in person). But the obverse toning looks like a tea stain or something.

The reverse picture definitely looks like a moderately-polished slider "pig".
  • what a centsles thing to bid on image

• << <i>Snort indeep sir. >>

I am a ma'am.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Do the hairlines look like this? Sounds like an old cleaning. It's easy to hide the hairlines by adjusting the pic angle, and sometimes it's hard to see them with the coin in hand. BTW - tonecoin has lots of stuff up on ebay right now in PCI plastic.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
    From a dead on front view you cant see the pig...i mean hair lines, but give her a 10 degree tilt and good light....and whammmo.......tons of little hairlines

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file