Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another Ebay problem, what you see is not what you get...2nd try

Sorry for double post, dont know what happend to the last one?

Though it was only $3.27, does it look the same to you? Seems like the coin got corroded during shipping huh?!!! I want my money back...imageEbay Auction

Coin I got today..

Comments

• rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Looks like a different coin to me!

• tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Beat not the same coin
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Bait and switch.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • At first glance I thought the pic was doctored. It doesn't take long to realize, though, that it's not even the same coin.

I'll tell you what I'd do, even though you didn't ask.

1. Tell the seller you want the coin in the photo. Tell him/her he eats both way shipping. Threaten negative feedback. Don't ask for you money back. For 6 bucks it's not worth it.

Anything short of this:
    2. Leave the jerk negative feedback. I'll give you the $6.00. It's these kinds of seller that screw things up for everyone else.

My guess, looking at his feedback, is he made a mistake. Make him own up to it. If not, use option 2.
    David
  • GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    If he doesn't make good, you can and should report him to eBay. This is very clearly not the same coin. (Save the photos from the original auction page.)
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has 5 and half steps >>

How are the steps on the coin you received? They're obviously not the same coin, but if the one you received isn't 5 1/2 steps, that's one more item you can include when contacting the seller.

Russ, NCNE
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Not the same coin, plain and simple.

Get a refund, and if you can't, pursue your options.

It's not about the money. It's about the sellers integrity.

We ARE watching you.

• nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>1. Tell the seller you want the coin in the photo. Tell him/her he eats both way shipping. Threaten negative feedback. Don't ask for you money back. For 6 bucks it's not worth it.
    Anything short of this:
    2. Leave the jerk negative feedback. I'll give you the $6.00. It's these kinds of seller that screw things up for everyone else.
    My guess, looking at his feedback, is he made a mistake. Make him own up to it. If not, use option 2. >>

As of now, option 1 due to his feedback, but we will see what his reply is and then option 2 goes in full affect... I was direct in what I told him I wanted and mentioned it is more about his integrity then it is the money and also told him that I am sure he simply made a mistake but either way, it will need to be rectified.

<< <i>

<< <i>Has 5 and half steps >>

How are the steps on the coin you received? They're obviously not the same coin, but if the one you received isn't 5 1/2 steps, that's one more item you can include when contacting the seller.
    Russ, NCNE >>

5 1/2 it is, but the huge gash (too dark out to take a pic for you) that runs from the top to the bottom steps kinda ruins it.. image Thanks everyone for listening and replying in such a quick fasion..

I will post back when I hear from him/her..
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    See my other post in your first thread start! I think you were sent the second one they have up that I linked to. The gash sounds like what I see in the second 40-D auction!
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.

<< <i>See my other post in your first thread start! I think you were sent the second one they have up that I linked to. The gash sounds like what I see in the second 40-D auction! >>

Seen it, my first post never showed up and then all of a sudden there are 2. Anyone know how to delete an entire thread?image
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    That's not the same coin. The coin in the auction also has a lot of luster which doesn't appear on yours. I'd ask for my money back.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im with everyone else...totally different coin.
  • Definately not even close!!!!

Very surprising considering his excellent feedback record.
    They say you need to pray if you want to go to heaven.... but they don't tell you what to say when your whole life has gone to hell.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    u got hosed

K S
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    80% sure its not the same coin but I've been amazed before at how
    lighting and photography can improve on or detract from the appearance
    of a coin.

Just as the seller for a refund. Tell him the coin looks very different in
    hand and ask if he made a mistake and have you the wrong coin. There
    may be a simple honest explanation. Why would a seller with 99.9%
    positive feedback try to rip you off on a coin worth less than $5?

If you had payed via paypal, I would suggest buyer complaint process.
    This is why I always hesitate to buy something via check/money-order.

Please check out my eBay auctions!
    My WLH Short Set Registry Collection
  • FragmentumFragmentum Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Definite and classic 'bait and switch'
    Do not be gentile with this scam artist. The coin you received is even damaged...
    Collecting ASE's, Disney Dollars, high end for type set and other shiny objects with crayola colors...
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do not be gentile with this scam artist. >>

Be Jewish instead.

Russ, NCNE
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
  • hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Unless the eBay image was touched up, it can't be the same coin. There is not even the slightest hint of the problem at the 6:30 position at the rim in the eBay auction.

Sent the seller an email and send him the pictures of what you recieved AND thewhats was shown in his eBay auction. At least with this first contact, assume that the seller simply picked up the wrong toned 1940 nickle when packaging.

Don't forget to ask for $2.50 (plus $1.30 if he wants insurance) to ship the "wrong" coin back to him, if he wants it.

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    This seller should accept the coin back, and should eat the postage both ways. Obviously that is not the coin pictured, and he sent you a piece of junk. Insist on a full refund including shipping. Why should you pay for his mistake?
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    So have you heard back yet?

<< <i>So have you heard back yet? >>

Nope... I will send another email to him/her tommorrow. image
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I bet they would be right there to respond if you dropped a negative on them. I really can't stand shady sellers like this. If the coin you are going to send to the buyer isn't the one pictured, you better make it clear in the auction. Otherwise, it is misrepresentation in my book.
    UPDATE:

Alright people, after threatening negative feedback, I got a reply, go figure...

From Him:

<< <i>Dear digitalxolutions,

If this not the coin in the auction then I am at a loss because I have a roll of these but none of them match the one pictured I fear that I may have sent it to someone else. Since I cant locate it I would like for you to keep the coin and I will send you the purchase price in cash. Let me know if this is amenable to you - Bob

Thank you,
    lib57trinity >>

My Reply:

<< <i>That's ok, I appreciate the offer but this is not the coin I bought so I do not have a need for it and would rather return it, after all, the corrosion on the coin literally makes it worthless.

Total fees needed to be refunded to me:
    Purchase Price: $3.27
    Shipping Fee: $2.50
    Money Order Fee: $.85
    Stamp cost to send back to you: $0.37
    Total Amount: $6.99

This is the price that I am out and is the only remedy I can agree to. Don't think it unreasonable by any means, after all, that is the amount I am out because of the incorrect coin being sent. Also, cash through USPS is going to get lost for sure, I would need payment sent as Money Order. I will await your reply, and upon getting the Money Order of $6.99, I will leave positive feedback even though this did not work out. >>

So, let's see what he replies with... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file