Home U.S. Coin Forum

When were coins first supplied in rolls?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know when coins were first supplied in, presumably, bank wrapped rolls? What are the earliest known original rolls for the various denominations?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    That is something I would like to know also.

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Everytime I hear this subject I want to say around 1900. mike image
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I believe Lincoln rolls from 1909 Exist.
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of unc seated dimes existing in rolls as late as the 1960s but I've never seen any.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A famous hoard of seated dimes dated in the 1870's or more likely, the 1880's was in a roll. Morgan dollars dated in the 1880's were shifted into rolls but am not sure if that was done at time of sending to stores, etc, in the 1880's.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    What would a Treasury wrapped roll of 1935-S Walkers be worth?
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    40X $300 (2004 CoinWorld value) or $12,000 if they were all MS60! Find some 65s or 66s and it would go considerably more.
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treasury wrapped 1935-S walkers??????

Off the scale if never opened. Probably close to twice the greysheet ASK.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    I recently saw a roll of 1927 Lincolns, treasury roll. Went for $3400.00 locally.

Could have brought more I thought.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    to my knowledge, there are still 2 original bank-wrapped 3-cent nickel rolls in existence

K S
  • 1881-O

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is "WOW" to the Morgan wrapped roll!!

Ken
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Double WOW!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Doug,

What kind of drugs are you taking to keep you from tearing into that roll on a second-by-second basis?

Whatever it is, I WANT SOME!!!!!

Davidimage
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought that banks wrapped the rolls, not the government. Am I mistaken?
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Yes, It's an original bank wrapped roll. I hate to say it but the one end has been rolled out, one coin removed for a picture. image Then carefully placed back in. The rest are still in place and as tight as the day they were wrapped. I inspected and witnessed the "un-rolling" of the end so i know it's genuine. Suprisingly the roll was cheap ($250) compared to what it might go for these days. It's a great conversation stopper. Whip it out and everyone goes ..... huh !!?? .... wha ??? .... lemme see that !! .... where did ??? Oh my Gosh !!

It now resides in a vacuum sealed container.

LOL ............... Fun image
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Triple wow. That dollar roll is amazing. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, the roll has been opened. No matter how much you claim it is original the fact that it is opened on one end destroys its value...at least to me.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, It's an original bank wrapped roll. >>

That would depend on how you define "original". Seafirst (Seattle First National Bank) didn't exist by that name until the 1930's, more than 50 years after the coins were minted.

Russ, NCNE
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    I think (but can't remember for certain) that I saw a partial bank roll of approximately 20 1858 half dimes.

Actually, I know I saw the coins, as they were shipped to me for consignment to a Heritage sale in 1980 or so, when I worked there in the auction department. I just can't recall whether there was a paper roll included or whether such an item even ever existed.image
  • DonovanDonovan Posts: 386

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, It's an original bank wrapped roll. >>

That would depend on how you define "original". Seafirst (Seattle First National Bank) didn't exist by that name until the 1930's, more than 50 years after the coins were minted.

Russ, NCNE >>

Exactly, good point. Silver dollar "rolls" bear no relationship to the date on the coins. They were ordered by bag quantity and rolled by banks until the 1960"s.

• << <i>Exactly, good point. Silver dollar "rolls" bear no relationship to the date on the coins. They were ordered by bag quantity and rolled by banks until the 1960"s. >>

BINGO !!

A roll of coins can be from any time or any bank that has the capability still. One of the banks here locally can roll coins for me.
    I could go in there with any denomination of coin and have them "roll-em-up" for me. Granted it would be pretty obvious as to the time period of the roll because of the brand or type of paper roll used, but it would still be considered an "original" bank roll.
    The one i have is original to the time and place it was done. The top, bottom, and second coins are pristine. I would guess by that they were never put into circulation, and rolled pretty early on. When? Who knows? As Russ said in his post:

<< <i>That would depend on how you define "original". Seafirst (Seattle First National Bank) didn't exist by that name until the 1930's, more than 50 years after the coins were minted. >>

This roll is somewhat unique, so i think i'll keep it as is. image Whether it is considered "original", or not, i guess is up to debate.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file