Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Topps Certified Autograph question 1999 or 2000???

OK.Here is the problem....

I'm not sure how I wound up with this card but on the back it says this:

Here is the front:

Beckett only lists for Traded and not this card.

Is it a 2000 or 1999?Somebody thinks it's a 2000 but as long as I can remember I don't ever recalling a card from a later year having an earlier year printed on the back for year of issue.

Comments

• joker73joker73 Posts: 497
    closed auction

Looks like it's a 2000 Topps Traded auto ... agree that it's weird that is says 1999 on the back.

Robert
  • srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Rob,

2004 Topps says R (in circle) and C (in circle) 2003
    2004 Heritage says R and C 2004

If I remember correctly, regular '04 topps came out very early (in time for Christmas '03, I believe)...so the 2003 date is probably accurate.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    It does happen occassionally. Seemed to happen several times starting around year 2000 sets (being released late enough in the year that it was still 1999,but they were already churning out the sets for 2000). Maybe Joe Stalin can clarify if he sees this thread. An eary example (which I came across just this weekend) was for the 1992 Pacific Nolan Ryan "Express" sets. Series I came out in 1991. Then Series II came out in 1992--but they still had the 1991 copyright on the backs. Finally when Series III came out in 1993 they had it correctly updated on the backs.
    I recall it happening with a few Topps products in the 1999-2003 period, but I will let the modern experts on this board fill you in.

If you provide the card number (for your example), I would be happy to look it up when I get home tomorrow and let you know if I find the answer--but others will probably give you the answer before then.

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    It's TA30 and I don't see any number like it in the most recent Beckett.

I was wondering about the auction that Joker pointed out being a mistake by the seller but I've had someone point out that it's a 2000 card even though I listed tyhe card as a 99 RC which I thought it was.

Interesting to know that this person might have been right like you are slowly confirming but yeah let's see what the majority says.

Thanks!
  • Rob,

That is a 2000 Topps autograph - NOT Topps Traded. Hamilton was NOT in the 2000 Topps Traded set. I pulled the same card from a box of 2000 Topps (can't remember which series). In addition, Beckett's My Collection site lists this card as part of the 2000 Topps autograph insert set.

Hope this helps.

Chad
    Well,I knew it was not a Topps Traded of any kind but wasn't sure the year.

Thanks!

• i've heard Hamilton is quite the headcase
    There are some fans who have hopes for him since he's still young.

Thanks for helping compare notes and straightening out facts.