Home U.S. Coin Forum

1938 MS-68 FS Jefferson (not!)

I am very amazed at how NTC overgrades jeffersons and over calls full steps!

1938 Jeff

Mark
Mark

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ALL SALES FINAL ON THIS PROFESSIONALY CERTIFIED GEM >>

• JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Uhhh, guys....

How can you assume anything about the grade of that coin, or whether it has full steps or not from the lousy photograph?

We ARE watching you.

• MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    Because it is in an NTC holder.

I hope I don't get sued for saying that.

Mark
    Mark
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Mark

be fair and offer an answer more based in logic. that should always prove as the better, unbiased option.

with that in mind, take a close look at the "supersized" view of the reverse. while the steps do in fact appear to be struck up completely through the fifth step, their is a visible contact at the top step just under the first pillar. that in itself negates the FS designation and renders the arguement moot as to bias.

i would mention that PCGS sometimes designates incorrectly, so it isn't just an NTC issue. to that end, PCI and SEGS probably do the best job currently----or in the case of PCI, in the past----by noting a step count and any flaws or nicks in the step area. NGC has just entered this arena with their five or six step designation. the best remedy is to use care with Full Step Jeffersons.

al h.image
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    "ALL SALES FINAL ON THIS PROFESSIONALY CERTIFIED GEM"

What does this tell you?
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    Hey Al,

You make a very good point. I made the negative comment based more on the MS-68 grade. I also agree that PCGS has inconsistencies on step status. I do like the step designation that SEGS uses.

Mark
    Mark
  • I can't even imagine what a 38P nickel would have to look like to get a 68FS designation from one of the top three services. There's a 38D in PCGS 67FS that's going off now on Teletrade which looks like the real deal. Currently at $2100, but I have to check my bank account first before bidding!
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How can you assume anything about the grade of that coin, or whether it has full steps or not from the lousy photograph? >>

My question exactly. Last I checked you actually need to SEE the coin before you can judge whether the coin is correctly graded, no?

jom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file