Home U.S. Coin Forum

crooked 0 1909-S VDB?

Looks really wierd.

Link-o-matic
Please check out my eBay auctions!
My WLH Short Set Registry Collection

Comments

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Funky lookin. You ever notice that no Ebay coin sellers are collectors and none know anything about coins?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    Yea, this particular seller knows nothing about coins but just happens to
    have a 14-D and a 1909-S VDB along with a bunch of other non-coin stuff.
  • MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 779 ✭✭✭
    If I were to buy a 1909-S V.D.B., it would have to be in a PCGS slab.

mark
    Mark
  • BigGreekBigGreek Posts: 1,090
    I need one for my album. Not that one though.
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Hmmm they know its a KEY DATE. Have to know something. That to me would be a collectors term.

PURPLE!
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    The only two 1909 varieties that I know of, off the top of my head, are the S/S RPM's.

I've never seen a crooked "0" like that, but I'm not a Lincoln collector.

We ARE watching you.

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    This doesn't look like a variety to me. It looks like its received some kind of damage that also affected the 9. The "s" looks to be of the right style, but there's no way to authenticate this coin given those images. A wise man would stay away.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
    It also appears to be damaged to me, Veep.

I guess my question as a Lincoln layman would be: were the dates in 1909 hand-punched, and if so, was there one punch for the numbers "09", or were there seperate punches, one for the "0" and one for the "9"? If the former, I can't see how such a slanted "0" could legitimately exist. If the latter, then it could be possible.

Coppercoins needs to weigh in on this one.

We ARE watching you.

• As long as there is a VDB on the reverse, it has to be an authentic 1909....unless there's something wrong about the VDB.....
    The "VDB" doesn't even look right to me. Isn't it supposed to centered between the stems?

Well I just answered my own question. It appears that the "VDB" is set slightly to the left of 6 o'clock.

This one is holdered by PCGS:

We ARE watching you.

• To many red flags on this one. Damage to the date might indicate an attempt to make another date look like a 1909.
    The V.D.B. looks a little odd too but that could be from the pic being taken from an angle.

I'd definately stay away from this one.

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭
    To be clear, the coin may very well be genuine. I haven't seen anything that clearly says that it is not. The trouble is that I can't see enough to tell that it clearly is genuine either. I'd need a zoom of the date/mintmark area where I'd look for tooling, signs of an added mintmark, the die chip inside the top curl of the "s", etc. I'd also need a zoom of the VDB to see whether the center horizontal line in the "B" is angled upward from left to right, etc. There are to many unknowns for me to be comfortable bidding on this one.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Did anyone but me notice the difference in color of the Reverse VDB pic and the full Reverse pic ? The damage would exclude it from getting into PCGS or NGC slabs.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file