Home U.S. Coin Forum

1794 Large Cent Sheldon Variety

I acquired a 1794 large cent out of an antique dealer's junk bin. The coin is in horrible shape. I believe it is a 1794 head of 1794. The date is incomplete. The reverse only has the ED in United and the STAT in States visible. S in States looks like a dollar sign with a line running through it from the rim. I believe this is a Sheldon Variety 32. I have a picture but have not figured out how to post an attachment. Wwhat are the diagnositics for the Sheldon Variety 32?

Comments

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is Sheldon's description

S32
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    With a die crack down through the S in STAT making it look like a $ it could be either S-26 or S-32. If you can see the points of the leaves under the first T, hold the coin so the T is straight up and down, if both leaf points are below the T it is S-26. If the lower point reaches past the T then it is S-32. Two other things. On S-32 the die crack is completely vertical while on the S-26 it is slightly off vertical being rotated clockwise slightly. On S-26 the 4 is closer to the bust above it, about the width of the upright of the 1 away. On the S-32 it is amost twice the width of the upright away from the bust.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file