Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks Lakesamman!

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
While in Portland, I got a few tips from Lakes about his photography. He just gave me some new pointers and boy did they work out.

I dont have my gold out of the safety deposit box but I did have some old Frankies laying around. I went and bought a 15$ tripod, two 8$ lamps from Target and some reveal bulbs.

Worked on the white balance a bit like Tim instructed and adjusted the lamps for glare which was also his suggestion. I use a Nikkon Coolpix 5400 so those of you out there with this one that are struggling, take heart. image Here are two of the frankies.

Feel free to guess the grade.. image

V.r,
John

imageimage

Comments

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, nice looking Frankies!image Congrats. Coin photography is alot of fun and it looks like your well on your way to being good at it.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Great pics John. So you finally broke down and bought that tripod, eh?
    How long have I been dogging you to do that? I guess it took the word
    of a truly great coin imager like Lakesammman to make you a believer.
    Regardless, you did a job great on these two, as well as the entire set.
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know how much you like Frankies... image

Cant wait to shoot my gold!!

In Bill's defense, the tripod thing was initiated by WWW...

I was so discouraged by the lighting situation that I didnt think it would work without some other tips coming together.

You are still the master Bill, I am but a grasshopper... image
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics. You almost make Frankie look pretty.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tripod and timer are important.

Even more so is the lighting and white balance. Shylock taught me that you need to reset the balance depending on the holder. If PCGS, I use a grey background and set the WB to that. If NGC, I use the white of the holder itself to set the WB. If shooting alot of pictures, sort your coins according to slab and it goes faster. Reveal for RB, Br or silver, Ott lights for red copper.

Looking forward to your gold coins with tips re: AWB and lighting for gold.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
    Hope to do it tonight...

John
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics. You almost make Frankie look pretty.

Almost...looking forward to seeing the gold coins later.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file