Home U.S. Coin Forum

Discussion of the PCGS term NUMISCAP (determined to be PCGS 4)

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
I may be spelling the name incorrectly as it has been a long while since I have heard/used the term numiscap.

Hint: It has to do with PCGS.

Come on, lets see who really knows (remember) their history!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• it's at the tip of my tongue...
  • A quick search of the site revealed: Once graded, each coin is sonically sealed inside its protective, tamper-evident PCGS NumisCap holder. A special tag within indicates the coin's certification number, grade, date, denomination, unique bar code and pedigree if applicable.

Is this what you were looking for?

But just looking at the word, it breakes down into Numis and Cap: Numismatics Capsule.
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    12345677890: Your answer is not specific enough historically-wise. But you are on the right track.
  • I have no clue. I bet it has something to do with something before I was born... image
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    You basicly have it, i think he just wanted it stated more clearly the Numiscap was PCGS's trademarked name for their original slab holder.
  • Oh...
    ~Richard Dorrance
  • I thought is had to do with a corporation known as Numismatic Capital!!!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • And here I thought it was a way of practicing safe grading image

Craig
    The Rede we live by: If it harms none, do what you will.
    Conder101: You stated<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<You basicly have it, i think he just wanted it stated more clearly the Numiscap was PCGS's trademarked name for their original slab holder. >>>>>>>>>>>>

I am not so sure about that. I seem to recall that the second generation PCGS holder was the Numiscap slab holder as it was the one with the extra shell around the edges to make it difficult to counterfeit/switch coins.

HRH can you shed any light on this? Here's hoping you remember!!!!! image

My recollection is one of the following two items:

(1) The original holder was purchased from Accugrade and the "Numiscap" was the modification to the original Accugrade holder to combine the best features of both since the original Accugrade type holder was not very tamper resistant. This is the holder I am describing:

(2) Or it is the later green insert that is of the unibody construction which was called the Numiscap holder.

NOW WHICH ONE IS THE NUMISCAP????? I do not recall.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Well I checked an I was wrong, but so is orville. I have an ad from 1990 where the Numiscap is being announced and it shows the PCGS 4, one piece slab with the green insert and large serial numbers (The one issued between 1990 and 1995 with the labels that fade and change color.)
  • homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Oreville,

The original PCGS holder was not purchased from Accugrade and neither was any other PCGS holder.

The term "Numiscap" was our management's attempt to get away from the slang term "slab" which reared its head in the first year we graded coins. I never had a big problem with the term slab, but others at PCGS thought it was negative. PCGS grader Jay Miller came up with the term "Numiscap" and it went over like a lead balloon.

The only thing we ever purchased from Alan Hagar was the right to use his patented "Arrowhead" holder concept on sportscard holders. We paid him a royalty for a few years.

David Hall

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    NumisCap is a bad name, doesn't flow off the tongue. now if you add an "R" to it, it's easier to pronounce.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    David: Thank you for getting my "recollection" back in order.

Oh yes, got the sportscards and coin slabs mixed up regarding Hager/Accugrade.

You wouldn't believe how versions I have heard of the numiscap story!!!!!!!!!! image

But when was the numiscap term first used by PCGS? 1989? 1990?

Conder101: Better to be 1/2 or all wrong than to never get the dialogue going!! image
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Thanks oreville and David for the information, and David its always nice to get info direct from the horses mouth. image

(just a term guys, don't read into it)

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
    updating an old thread to update the pictures.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the best Jeopardy tradition:

What do you put on your NumisHead?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

An update:

I found a bunch of very old bright orange PCGS mailing labels:

It stated:

G/TYPE/NUMISCAP

DEALER # ___________

CHECK APPROPRIATE BOX

G/TYPE # (an open box here) This means GOLD/TYPE

NUMISCAP HOLDER # (another open box here)

Was this giving the dealer submitter a choice between the PCGS 4 holder (numiscap) and a 2nd holder only for GOLD/TYPE (possibly the older two piece slab?) or was this simply a way of separating non gold/type from the gold/type?

I am drawing a blank here.

• COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Well, at least it has kept you busy for 6 years. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file