Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bad eBayer (ah-collectibles)

I was involved in an auction tonight on an 1881 CC Morgan NCG MS65 ah-collectibles auction that had just over 1 hour left. This seller, ah-collectibles, convieniently cancelled the auction due to an "error in listing". Please, this was clearly reserve fee avoidance because the high bid at the time (mine) was only $435, and the seller did not want to sell at that price. The title, description, and picture all matched so there was no error. Well other than they did not wish to pay the reserve fee, and have little respect for fellow eBayers. In the future, remember the name, and don't support someone who reneges on their auctions! I HATE that!!!! Little do they know, I was prepared to go much higher than that!
certifiedsilverdollar.com
A site dedicated to the sale of rare and high MS grade Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. All coins are graded by ICG, PCGS, NGC, or Anacs, and are priced well below PCGS values.

Comments

• rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

If I remember right AH-Collectables is none other than Alan Hagar of ACG!!!!

• I think I recall that as well...
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    That's strange, AH must have run out of friends to bid things up for himimageimage----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Big surprise there. Maybe he thought it was one of HIS holdered coins, and therefore didn't have a reserve. Then, he realized it was NGC, and cancelled. Cuz hey, in his holder, he may call that a PR70 using their grading standards. They are different standards after-all.
    A site dedicated to the sale of rare and high MS grade Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. All coins are graded by ICG, PCGS, NGC, or Anacs, and are priced well below PCGS values.
  • rottnrogrottnrog Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Very True!!!

• K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I would suggest clicking on the link to my web pages below, then click on A Close Look at Accugrade for the lowdown on AH.
  • He sells over graded ACG coins.........
    JoeCool
  • report him to EBay for reserve fee avoidance
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Bad eBayer. Bad, Bad eBayer.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Consider this a lesson and a free one at that!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Thanks for the tip. This would really tick me off too. However, IMO, the price would have gone much higher in the last hour. He should have stuck with it. This Morgan date is perhaps the finest year of all CC Morgans, as most of them were strongly struck with high luster. It is my favorite coin in my entire collection (see my link below).

I had a similar experience when I won off of eBay a 1976 Type I Ike PCGS MS65. I got it for a fairly low price, so the seller was reluctant to send it to me after the auction ended. I sent him a couple of threatening emails, and he finally sent it. image
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    You could always email the seller and make an offer.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    How is canceling a auction prior to close avoiding a reserve fee?

You pay a reserve fee what when you list it.....

and if you auction hits the reserve, you get it refunded.

the only fee that gets avoided is the final value/sale fee.....

the reserve fee is charged to you when you list, and even if you cancel, you still are in debt that listing fee which included the charge to have a reserve....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • I did report him, not that they ever do anything. I emailed him as well, but no response. Big Surprise! I wouldn't take the coin now if he gave it to me. Ok, maybe if he gave it to me.........but that is the only way. Anyone who has money to sue that many people and is cancelling a auction to save $100 or $200 is someone I do not wish to do business with anyhow. And why would he be selling NGC coins????? GOOD question, huh?
  • Because rather than paying for the reserve fee, and risking not meeting it and in turn having to pay for the fee......some people just skip the reserve, and just cancel the auction if their true desired price is not met. I had a woman do it to me months ago on a Kincade Painting, that I was going in late to work for, to babysit. Man, was I ticked.....I lost money for notta. According to eBay: "Reserve price listing violations occur when a seller engages in the following listing activity:

Stating the reserve price in the title or description of the item when the item has not been listed using the reserve feature.
    Stating in the title or description that the high bidder is obligated to purchase the item even if the reserve price has not been met.
    Reserve Fee Avoidance - canceling bids and ending a listing early because the seller's desired price has not been met.
    Listings that violate the reserve fee policy are not permitted. Disciplinary action may result in listings being ended and/or a formal warning or account suspension.

To report a listing that has a description or title that violates the reserve price policy contact us with the item number.

To report a listing that a seller ended early in violation of our reserve fee avoidance policy, contact us with the item number you would like us to review. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, eBay will investigate sellers who abuse this option."
    Hold on, I don't understand this and I have been sellign on Ebay for awhile now, however, I don't play these games......

When I lst a auction and if I use a reserve I immediately get charged a listing fee and part of that fee is a charge for running a reserve auction. Are you telling me if I cancel the auction before it ends that now I don't have to pay the listing fees at all?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • if you start the auction off at say $1, the listing fees are minimal.. if the auction does not get enough action, the seller could then cancel and only would be out the minimal fee of listing the auction at $1. Sounds like what happened here. If ah-collectibles would have put a reserve on the coin, they would have paid much more in listing fees. Anyway, the seller has the option to end an auction whenever they want. I would be po'd to, but what can you do. Better luck next time.
    ok, I think I see whats being said, a strategy of starting a auction at .99 cents incurs a .30 cent listing fee....

if the auction doesn't hit what you want, you cancel it and your only out .30 cents, rather then setting up a reserve auction from the start.......

hmmmm.......

sneaky....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • You can end an auction for certain reasons, which should not be allowed at all. If I win an auction, I am bound by contract to purchase the item, so a seller should not be allowed to cancel and sell to someone outside of eBay when an auction has a bid already, either with no reserve, or with a reserve that has been met. But you cannot end an auction as stated by eBay: "Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated. "

Problem is, eBay made their listing fee already. And someone who sells/buys alot on there, is never going to get reprimanded because eBay would then lose money. A catch 22. But, I guess you take the good with the bad. At any rate, AH-Collectables just lost an aggressive buyer forever. I instead blew,uh-uhm.... I mean invested $2000 on Teletrade at the last second.
  • ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Damn ....I just send the guy 92 bucks on 3/25/04, had I put 2 & 2 together, he would never had gotten any of my money...Damn

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • I just ran some auctions and the prices doubeled on some items in the last minute. I think ending auctions early hurts everyone.
  • SarasotaFrankSarasotaFrank Posts: 1,625 ✭✭

<< <i>I had a woman do it to me months ago on a Kincade Painting, that I was going in late to work for, >>

some things are worth being late to work for! image
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭
    There are MANY people that do exactly that, Including at least one fellow board member. If I'm not mistaken, he was called out here on the carpet for the same reason. Right ____? BAD E-BAYERS!!! image
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    This board has members who end auctions early on ebay, who have other members list their coins for sale then bid them up themselves, has members who friends shill up their auctions. Welcome to the real world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file