Home U.S. Coin Forum

Now that you've taken the crash course - It's time to GRADE THOSE FRANKIES!

Glad some of you have had a chance to read my post on Grading Frankies. I got a roll of beautiful UNC 49 Franklins recently and they're on their way to PCGS for grading - I thought it'd be fun to try to grade them and see how we all do - I'll start off by saying that they're all blast white (very unusual if you read the thread on the 1949P) some have even highly reflective fields - that's why the pictures look a little dark on some, but I think you can see the detail fairly well.

Frankie1

Frankie2

Frankie3

Frankie4

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    hmmmm......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    They seem to get better as you go down. I'll say 63,64,64,65 all look like they got good bell lines.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    All are EF-45!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • ClausUrchClausUrch Posts: 1,278
    #1 MS64FBL
    #2 MS65FBL
    #3 MS64FBL
    #4 MS65FBL
  • OldnewbieOldnewbie Posts: 1,425 ✭✭
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Whatcha think Lucille?
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    I think if I had them raw and in my hand I could be very very close to what they would grade/holder.......
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
    True enough - it's hard to grade from pics - but I just thought it'd be fun for a Sunday nite
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    64 all FBL
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Frankie 1: MS 63 FBL

Frankie 2: MS 64 FBL

Frankie 3: MS 64 FBL dings on reverse 3 7 and 9 o'clock on the feild

Frankie 4: MS 64 FBL mark from 6 to 9 o'clock above IN GOD WE

PURPLE!
  • I say:
    #1 63 FBL
    #2 64 FBL
    #3 64 FBL
    #4 65 FBL
    For what it's worth here's my assessment:

Coin 1: is actually an extremely reflective and really nice coin. There are a lot of small tick marks on the bust, however the strike is absolutely gorgeous, probably from a brand new pair of dies. I pegged this one right at the cusp of MS63FBL and MS64FBL. Depending on what kind of a day the graders are having they might go either way.

Coin 2: is a beauty - Blast white, good strike, and actually the marks on the bust are augmented in this picture. In hand it looks pretty darned nice. I pegged this one MS65FBL

Coin 3: not quite as nice as the one above with maybe just too much chatter on the bust to make it past MS64FBL

Coin 4: is just about as good as coin 2. Very bright white, great strike - the only thing it might get nailed on is roll rub on the bell. I put this one at MS64FBL, MS65FBL if they overlook the roll rub.

Everyone was really close on the grades, and heck - I could be wrong, but we were all in the same basic ballpark within a grade of eachother. So we'll see how everything comes out - Sometime this summer I'm afraid imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file