Home U.S. Coin Forum

How accurate are those pre-ANACS ANA Holders in grading?

Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
Were they overgraded? Undergraded? Or correctly graded?

(no mark by the eye in the photo)

Comments

• NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    I have one of those slabs with a 1875 -S 20-cent in it that is graded MS 61 and everyone I have shown it to says that it is undergraded by 1-2 points.

Considering the current belief (by many) that standards have loosened, I'd say that (by your picture/scan) that yours is worthy of at least 1 point. But that is just MY opinion from your picture/scan.

Jim
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Looks like a Gem... if the cheek is any indication, it looks like a 65... but there may be other hits, and hits on the reverse that keep it down...
    -George
    42/92
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only own one of the pre-AMOS ANA slabs, a 1920 Standing Liberty quarter graded MS63. In my opinion the coin is at least a solid 64 and maybe even a 65 because it has exceptional eye-appeal.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • NoGvmntNoGvmnt Posts: 1,126
    "Looks like a Gem... if the cheek is any indication, it looks like a 65... but there may be other hits, and hits on the reverse that keep it down... "

That is why I said at least 1 point, the glare on the cheek in the picture/scan may be hiding something and the cheek is one if not the major focal point. And, as you state, the reverse could contain something that we have not seen.

Jim
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a strong 63, low 64. The eagle is marked up.

• jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

IMO, generally speaking, currently, most "pre-ANACS ANA Holders" are over-graded. After 10+years searching and cracked out, all under-graded or correctly graded pre-ANACS ANA coins are in PCGS/NGC holders.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO, generally speaking, currently, most "pre-ANACS ANA Holders" are over-graded. After 10+years searching and cracked out, all under-graded or correctly graded pre-ANACS ANA coins are in PCGS/NGC holders. >>

Probably true. I actually see very few of these early ANACS holders. When I do see them they often contain low value coins that would not be worth reslabbing. Nearly 14 years have passed since they were last issued. That is a lot of time in the world of crack-outs.
    All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file