Home U.S. Coin Forum

Just where is the silver demand coming from?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
I attended a show last weekend when silver was considerably lower than the $8 plus it is today. The dealer I shared the table with (actually, a fellow coin club member) was selling mostly bullion related silver items including many rounds and ingots. He had to work the floor hard to sell the silver. There seemed to be very little demand for it from the coin collector attendees at the show. Just who is doing the buying? Are contracts being covered? Does anyone have FACTS and not speculation on this issue?
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Go over to KITCO.Com they have a couple of real good article that explains your question.
  • 291, I've been told that China started buying lots of commodities, which is what got silver moving. What has kept it moving is the economy, the war, oil prices, and election uncertainty. What stands to push it further is shorts being covered--if that happens, we may see something fun happen. If not, prices will recede and then maybe next time will be the big one!
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    The demand for silver is coming from the same place the demand for tech stocks came from in the 1990's.

Russ, NCNE
  • Russ, no offense because you seem like a good guy, but I've asked you in other threads to give me a shred of evidence refuting the a) silver deficit, b) silver lease bubble, OR c) the short silver bubble. So far I haven't heard back from you.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
    It's all hocus pocus. Sell now.

Russ, NCNE

• << <i>It's all hocus pocus. Sell now. >>

When people can't support their position with evidence, you may wish to take what they say cum grano salis. Again, this isn't directed just at Russ, but at all the silver bashers who STILL haven't presented any arguments. It may not sound like it, but I *do* have an open mind, however the only people that I can find offering any evidence for their position are the bulls. Oh well image

<< <i>however the only people that I can find offering any evidence for their position are the bulls. >>

Anybody else just have a flashback?

Russ, NCNE
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's turn this thread into something alittle sporting...

lets take an imaginary $800 and buy 100 ounces of silver... lets take another $800 and buy 175 shares of Lucent (it is around 4.35 a share) and see which one appreciates the most by 12/31/04?

Which would you rather buy now?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• An excellent idea coinkat. I'll set up my Lucent "buy" in CNet ASAP.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver has certainly had a big run up. Doubled in price. It is in need of a short term correction to prevent or slow down the overspeculation that will or may have already begun.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget the Lucent, I'll take my $800 in Accented Hair Kennedys

roadrunnerimage
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    Funny you guys should mention Lucent. I recommended it to a couple friends when it was under $2 a share. I also recommended Cray when it was at $2. (I bought at $1.43, sold at $8). Of course, it ran all the way to $13 after I sold.

Russ, NCNE
    Please keep in mind that this is merely for fun... I perfer better date coins as an investment to bullion of anykind. I do think that some of the technology stocks will do well such as SUN Micro, Nortel, JDSU and HPQ. Silver is certainly on a roll and it may continue to do well for reasons that have been expressed on the forum.

Instead of editing my first post on this thread, I meant to say that it would also be an imaginary $800 used for the purchase of 175 shares of Lucent... just so it is clear.

• nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Veeery interesting comments, folks. During the past 30 days, I've sold the bulk of my silver into the price advance, and have been buying LU on the dips ($3.85-$4.20). I feel pretty comfortable.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file