Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

question

what would you do? i recently (3 weeks ago) sold something non-sports related for my mother (it was a signed piece of artwork)print by a very popular artist.. the prints were limited to 1000, and this was an "artists proof" edition (instead of being #'d, it was labeled "A/P")... anyway, my mom did some research and couldnt find anything anywhere about the value of the particular print, so my mom listed it at $700.00 figuring, if it sells it sells, if not, no big deal... it was a 10-day auction.. with 4 minutes to go in the auction, it gets a bid and sells for $700.00.. the buyer paid through paypal.. the buyer has good feedback.. and by looking at the buyers feedback, i see that she buys a LOT of stuff by this particular artist..

today, i get an email from the buyer saying that she "is sure we didnt know the true value of the print" and she has since found a place where she can purchase the print for $350.00 (the #'d edition, not the artist proof, plus the one she bought from me had about $150 frame job on it) ... she also "politely" suggested the threat of leaving negative feedback..

now i cant help it she decided to throw down $700.00 on this print (she buys alot of stuff by this artist so she shouldve been knowledgeable about it before she spent $700).. she wants me to refund her the money..

I havent replied to her email yet, but I think I'm gonna tell her to go jump in a lake.. if she negs me, thats fine, it will be my first.. luckily, i've held her feedback hostage, so if she does neg me, shes gonna get one back..

i'm posting this in the sports card forum because I respect yalls opinions on "ethics".. but i dont think this woman was very "ethical" by bidding $700.00 with 4 minutes left on a 10-day auction, without doing some research first..

what would yall do?
·p_A·

Comments

• Options
    Screw the negative she will leave you, you have her $$$. I have like 3 total negatives, and they were all retaliatory ones. They piss me off, but sometimes you have to take one rather than giving in to some of the jerks out there. Just RESPOND in your feedback that it was strictly a bull$hit negative. Any good Ebayer would understand.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    NHLfightguyNHLfightguy Posts: 525 ✭✭
    Keep $, it's not your fault she paid for it, them found it cheaper. Your not Target or Walmart tell her...............
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    If nothing in your description is misleading, you have done nothing wrong. Just ignore her. We all have buyers remorse from time to time. We have all seen the value of our cards decrease. Doesn't mean we are entitled to refunds.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    It is a legit auction and sale. Report her to eBay for the feedback issue and send them the emails. If she does neg you, it could be removed. You can also explain your side on the feedback.

Negative feedback is not always a bad thing, and does not automatically qualify you as a poor seller.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    I hate idiots like that.
    I've had similar experiences selling cards (brand new stuff) before the price guide comes out. Basically selling in the blind for what I think it should go for. Sure enough, these morons want a refund after the guide comes out because they paid $5 to $15 more.
    What they don't realize is, they've just set the price. A guide is a guide.

Screw her; keep the $ and take the neg if you have to, but I really doubt the neg will be left.

Eagle
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    You are right that she should have been knowledgable before
    bidding, plus you had nothing misleading in the auction.

I don't understand her reasoning that she is sure you didnt know the
    true value of the print. That's irrelevant. You never quoted a market
    price, you simply had a high starting bid. Let us know how this turns
    out. I would not refund in this case. What does your Mom think you
    should do?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the replies.. here is a link to the auction.. my moms first thought was to refund her the difference, until I told her no way..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>she has since found a place where she can purchase the print for $350.00 (the #'d edition, not the artist proof, plus the one she bought from me had about $150 frame job on it) ... she also "politely" suggested the threat of leaving negative feedback.. >>

If I have this correct, she actually found a LESSER value item NOT cheaper - there's a big difference between an artist's proof and the #'ed item with respect to total number and value. I agree with everyone - this person is trying to weasle out of a purchase.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    You got her money. If she doesn't like it tell her to re-sell it on eBay. Also, I see you have 800+ positives, she has only 15. Who do you think will get hurt more by a negative?
  • Options
    I noticed one of the key words was PAYPAL. Actually to quote "the buyer paid through paypal". I would warn you against a chargeback from PAYPAL, if she chooses to go this way. I remember someone else here had this happen and they seized their checking account and PAYPAL account funds or something to that effect.

Anyway, take the money and run. She paid and she gets what she paid for. Just watch out for PAYPAL.

Just my $.02.

Philip
    Move along folks.......Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    Use search engine you'll find infos about the artist:

Reproduction List

Hibel Lithos

Reg editions, Artist Proof have different price level. I guess your moms lithos is worth more than $350.

When you send that litho make sure it has tracking and signature especially if the buyer paid by CC.

Hope this helps.

RIP Snow
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    she was the one that set the value when she paid your price. until then it was only for sale. I can find many things cheaper after ive bought it too......Typical
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Use search engine you'll find infos about the artist:

Reproduction List

Hibel Lithos

Reg editions, Artist Proof have different price level. I guess your moms lithos is worth more than $350.

When you send that litho make sure it has tracking and signature especially if the buyer paid by CC.

Hope this helps. >>

thanks for the links! BTW: She already has the print, and said she likes it.. she just doesnt like the price she paid..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>I noticed one of the key words was PAYPAL. Actually to quote "the buyer paid through paypal". I would warn you against a chargeback from PAYPAL, if she chooses to go this way. I remember someone else here had this happen and they seized their checking account and PAYPAL account funds or something to that effect.

Anyway, take the money and run. She paid and she gets what she paid for. Just watch out for PAYPAL.

Just my $.02.

Philip >>

is that true? Ive refunded small amounts through paypal before, is that dangerous also?
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>If I have this correct, she actually found a LESSER value item NOT cheaper - there's a big difference between an artist's proof >>

I'm going to have to agree with this...a Artist Proof is generally much more valuable then one of the prints (and that is immaterial to this transaction...who cares...a legitimate bid was made on a legitimate item)...you did nothing wrong with your transaction...you listed it correctly...someone bought it...no one was holding a gun to their winning bidder's head...done...sold...no refund...no apology necessary...

Wow...can you imagine someone emailing you...hey the card I just bought from you...I can buy cheaper from someone else that I just found...please send me back my money...

Excuse me...What?
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<is that true? Ive refunded small amounts through paypal before, is that dangerous also? >

they were refering to chargebacks not refunds...........
    Good for you.
  • Options
    JmnesqJmnesq Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Paypal will only effectuate a chargeback if you cannot prove delivery. SInce the item is more than $250, you will need signature confirmation under Paypal's rules. Given that she could theoretically refuse shipment, and the product could be returned to you, she could legitimately receive a refund from Paypal. Ethics are out the window, but if she tries hard enough, she should get her $ back.

To be totally secure, close your bank account attached to paypal, empty your PP account, and open new ones.
    Jeff

Collecting Bowman Chrome Phillies Rookie Cards and Mike Schmidt certified auto cards.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm gonna tell her to go jump in a lake >>

yep
  • Options

<< <i>Paypal will only effectuate a chargeback if you cannot prove delivery. SInce the item is more than $250, you will need signature confirmation under Paypal's rules. Given that she could theoretically refuse shipment, and the product could be returned to you, she could legitimately receive a refund from Paypal. Ethics are out the window, but if she tries hard enough, she should get her $ back.

To be totally secure, close your bank account attached to paypal, empty your PP account, and open new ones. >>

oh i can prove delivery, and that she's had it for awhile now.. we had a custom frame box built for it and had it professionally shipped for $85.00
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Hello all

I am new the forum, but even I am stunned by this behaviour.
    I don't even think PA should do this person a favor by replying.

PA did nothing wrong- simply listed an item. The buyer "threatened" a negative? For what?
    Not returning the money they voluntarily paid for winning an auction?

The other posts are right- one negative to you is much easier to take than one negative to them.

Ryan
    Collector of T cards and other pre war
  • Options
    Don't send the money back. Quote her in your response to her neg. Also, you can provide eBay with the e-mail sent you showing why she backed out and may be able to get any resulting negative feedback removed as being retaliatory.

Bryan
    Looking for Nolan Ryan PSA 10's.

Texas Heat Wave