Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has this ever happened to you?

I won two lots from a seller on eBay. He sends me the shipment insured, but one of the lots is missing - the expensive one that consists of a pair of gold coins. I ask him he forgot to include that lot, and he asks me if the package was tampered with....

I told him that the package didn't appear to be tampered with at all. The problem is that if he insists that he sent me the coins, it's just going to be his word against mine. I signed for the package at the post office, and I still have it.

We'll see what happens. I asked him to double check his inventory to be certain that he actually sent the coins. I'm not going to reveal his identity as I'm hoping that we can come to an amicable resolution.

Just wondering what you all think.

P.S. I sniped the gold coins for much less than their current market value.

We ARE watching you.

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Not yet.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you didn't receive the items, you can sign the affadavit for insurance with the USPS--then he can either sign it or send you the coins if he has them... if he signs for the insurance and is found to have the coins... well, then...

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭
    Intresting, when you asked him if he forgot did he say "no" or did he just ask if it was tampered with? See what he says but I have a feeling that you are going to be dealing with the Post Office.

Though, I must admit to doing something like that myself, shipping the wrong thing or forgetting to include something on 3 occasions. Everyone has a bad day ya know.

Even though this is and may be a hassle, you will end up fine in the end, no matter how it goes.

Keep us informed..
  • JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Yes, it's too early to tell. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt as I've dealt with him a number of times, and always to my satisfaction.

We ARE watching you.

• Sounds fishy to me. Here's an idea: put the coins back into the box and weigh it. His package may have the weight on the label, or documented somewhere. I know that my receipts have the weight of each package. Next, put in 2 similar gold coins and weigh the package. See where I am going with this??
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds fishy to me. Here's an idea: put the coins back into the box and weigh it. His package may have the weight on the table, or documented somewhere. I know that my receipts have the weight of each package. Next, put in 2 similar gold coins and weigh the package. See where I am going with this?? >>

excellent Idea!
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds fishy to me. Here's an idea: put the coins back into the box and weigh it. His package may have the weight on the label, or documented somewhere. I know that my receipts have the weight of each package. Next, put in 2 similar gold coins and weigh the package. See where I am going with this?? >>

Super idea!!!!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Wow Jade, great idea!

This is why I always come to the boards first.

Thank you kindly.

We ARE watching you.

• If the weight is not listed on the package, you may be able to deduce the weight & insurance amount based on the postage (don't forget to add appropriate charges for delivery confirmation or other services).
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Unless it was a ounce or more of gold it's unlikely you could tell by the weight.
    So the seller sends me this email:

Hi John,
    Your coins went out on march 1. I added an insurance even you did not ask
    for. For single set I would not do that. Anyway, everything was shipped out
    to you. That is what I can say. Check with your the post office, please.
    Best wishes,
    XXXXXXXX
    P.S. If worse come to worst we will file the complaint.

And this was my response:

OK.

I will go to the post office tomorrow, and look into the issues concerned
    with insurance.

I still have all of the packaging, and I will ask the USPS to weigh it and
    examine it, and see if they think there was any tampering involved.

Regards,

John.

We ARE watching you.

• northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you keep in touch with the seller. I purchased an item on EBay several years ago and it arrived damaged. I filled out an insurance claim (it was insured), gave the post office the damaged item, and never heard further. I believe what happened was that the seller got reimbursed (after all he "bought" the insurance) and he never bothered to refund the money to me. Of course EBay was useless to either of us as it took over 6 months for the post office to do their thing and by then Ebay had erased all reference to the auction so that we could get back in touch with each other. Giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, by the time he got my money refunded to him he had either lost my contact information or had erroeously assumed he could still get it from Ebay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file