Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another Gold ???? Got a picture now

I'm looking at two different gold $20 coins.
PCGS grades AU50 & AU58.
On the eagles wing feathers, out near the outer tips, there appears to be silver or a silver color showing through the gold.
Is this possible?
Or is it just wear?
I feel I know the answer, but I need some reassurance.
What say you?

See picture a few posts down.
The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams

Comments

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Ins't there some silver mixed in there?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Yes there is, but as a mix would it show through looking pure?
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the look bothers you, it will always bother you and bother other potential buyers.

I'd avoid the coin.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Here's a picture
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Weird I've never seen that before.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    I do believe it can happen naturally, but if it is a visual distraction to you, you might wish to hold off. On the other hand, it is a CC double eagle - rare one? If it's an extremely difficult coin you've wanted for a while, weigh what's most important to you.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boz: I think it's kind of interesting, especially if it's been certified by either PCGS< NGC or ANACS.

Does the seller mention anything about the silver wings on this CC $20 Lib?

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
    I asked him about them. Both have the same appearance. He says in hand it is not noticable.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how that color can come about. US Gold was 90% gold and 10% copper. And those areas are the areas where wear shows. But it should be a dull gold look. It could be a lighting trick, but the caution bulb should stay lit until you can see it for yourself.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't tell from that picture. maybe a photographic artifact.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• That's very odd. I own many$20 libs and have seen many but never seen that silver effect. As was already mentioned, the gold is alloyed with copper in $20 libs, rather than silver as in the case of st gaudens. In any case, they're alloyed, not plated, so there is no silver beneath to show through. It's the difference between an Orea cookie and and a chocolate chip, if you will.
    Atomic
    Estragon: I can't go on like this.
    Vladimir: That's what you think.
    - Samuel Beckett, Waiting For Godot

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file