Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why Do many dealer's ...

... with websites never answer their email?
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• BustmanBustman Posts: 1,911
    It has happened to me more times than I can count on 2 hands. Something I'll never understand!
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunno! Send em an email and ask them. image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Just because they have a web site, it doesn't mean they actually know how to operate a computer. image

Russ, NCNE
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No email response = no sale. If they won't answer their email, something is wrong. Doesn't matter if it's a dealer website or an ebay auction.

Example: one dealer had a VF-35 1801 3-errors cent for sale on ebay. It was worth the asking price IMO. However, I had viewed the same exact piece at a Bowers auction one month earlier, where it sold for a higher price. I sent an email to the dealer inquiring about the piece and why it was for sale at a lower price so quickly. No response. I decided that the person had stolen the picture off the Bowers site so I didn't bid on it. I think they were NARU'd later.

I also love it when they don't update their websites, so half of the coins listed were sold months ago. At that point, I delete them from my bookmarks because it's not worth my time.
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    What about well known legitimate dealers that do have great material?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Phone themimage
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Many times emails come in starting like this:

how much is xyz?

what is this worth?

what is the value of this gold coin in excellent condition

My question is would you reply to anything like this and these ARE typical.

Why wouldn't you?

Why would you?

TPimage

• << <i>Why Do many dealer's ... ... with websites never answer their email?
    >>

It's not a case of 'never'.
    In most cases it comes down to 'why bother answering questions of tire kickers'.
    Players get their email answered.
  • Some dealers are too busy at shows or their shop to even update their sites. I overheard a customer at the Santa Clara show compliment a dealer on his web site. The dealer confessed that most coins on the site had been sold months ago. That kind of dealer probably won't answer email.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What about well known legitimate dealers that do have great material? >>

If their resident geek isn't around, they might not know what to do. image

Russ, NCNE
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't answer their emails because it's a virtual world. They work too hard and don't have time for what they call "tire kickers." Now I can understand the public and they always want to talk you down on price and such. I'm self employed and when I receive a call from the yellow pages, one of the first things I try to weed out is trying to find out if they're looking for the cheapest price. If so I politely say that won't be me and end of story.

But emails they don't have to face you so they feel they can do as they please.... which they can indeed.

Now I know they're too busy to deal with these things because they will come on the board for HOURS and MULTIPLE threads over 100 replies and tell us how "Busy" they are.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [post deleted]

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are the ONLY ones, hunh? Someone's forgetting Jon and co. @ RCONH... as well as many others, I'm certain.

tsk.
    Jon doesn't post here that often... I didn't forget him, nor Printz. They simply don't post that much here.

• ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    Thanks OIB. I'd post here more often but I'm too busy answering emails. image
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, OK, just didn't want to see any good 'uns get slighted, even if unintentionally. Hi there, Jon. image
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP, I think you're a bit too sensitive. I did not have either of you in mind. And I purposely didn't name names to get this even started. Here check out this link and chill dude. Text
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
    EVP, I think you're a bit too sensitive.

Yes, I think you are correct. I have deleted my post and apologize for slightly derailing this thread as well as insinuating that STMAN did wrong.

EVP

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill,
    Maybe, just maybe, they don't like Y O U ! imageimageimageimageimage
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    But they do like the money.
    Bill

09/07/2006

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file