Home U.S. Coin Forum

gold question ??

what would be a good graded coin for a new collector to pick up for theie first gold coin and price i would expect to pay for it ? thanks guys and gals image

Comments

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Depends on how much you got to spend.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trout70: Look at your author icon and the answer will appear before your eyes...image

As a good gold starter coin I recommend either the $20 Saint Gaudens in MS-63/64 for $500 to $650; or the $20 Liberty in MS-62/63 for $500 to $700.

The most common date Saints are the 1924 & 1927. The 1904 Liberty is most common for that series.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    If I was in the market for a gold coin, I'd get a PCGS or NGC slabbed VF/XF Original Gritty G$1... I believe that would run around $150-$200 if not less... and I like small coins image
    -George
    42/92
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd go with the MS64 Saint too: impressive size, one ounce of gold, beautiful design, easily liquid at any time, and you're paying less than 2x face value. This is a better buy than a Merc dime or Walker half as those cost 6X face! Cheaper than wheat pennies too.

The Saint. Appeals to collectors, investors, speculators, and the general public. You won't impress your friends with a VF one dollar gold piece as you will with a choice UNC Saint.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I'm not looking to impress my friends image But, that's what the Monster toned Rainbow Morgan is for image
    -George
    42/92
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RoadRunner: Very well-stated!! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

• << <i>MS64 Saint...
    one ounce of gold >>

False. AGW .9675

<< <i>and you're paying less than 2x face value >>

False. Face value is $20.00
  • lets say i would like to stay around $100-$150 range !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file