Home U.S. Coin Forum

U.S. Mail Shipping Risk for Certified Coins ??

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'd be curious to get others' opinions of the inherent shipping risk involved when valuable type coins are returned to the owner after they have been graded by a third party grading service.

In this case I am considering only PCGS for this specific submission. I assume that PCGS returns the coins via Insured (Registered?) U.S Mail or do they prefer to use an overnight courier service such as FedEx or DHL?

I am very leery of the unreliability of the U.S. Mail, and this is a big risk-factor concern of mine in making the decision to have the coins slabbed. I can submit them in person in Las Vegas, and am wondering if I should have them shipped back to me or if it's worth it for me to fly to somewhere where I could physically pick them up from PCGS (Calif or a regional coin show)?

Thanks in advance for your constructive feedback and your experiences on this topic.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    Pcgs always sends my coins back registered. Zero lost so far. I would guess the odds of your registered package being lost is about 1 in 50,000.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Registered is the best way to send and receive certified coins. The packages are locked in a safe for the entire time they are in the pocession of the USPS. Each step of the way someone is held responcible. I have not had a single package lost in many years. It will take a while for the package to reach you, but don't worry it is safe.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback Placid and FCloud!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    Registered has never lost a coin for me. Slow sometimes fast others, I don't know why. It once took 17 days from only 500 miles away.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I had a registered package dissapear last may on it's way to Europe. I filled out all the requested forms and tried to contact anyone at the post office that might be able to help and after about four months I gave up on getting anything .............................................................................................................................................................................................................................. last week I got a form letter saying they have recieved my claim but need more info. As most of you know that send registered oversea's the insured limit is $40.45. I gave up for a loss month's ago( it was worth much more than $40.45 image ) . I knew I was taking a risk but I never knew that it would take so long and that nobody at USPS could even tell me if my claim was being looked at. mike
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Darktone,

Once it is in the hands of another country's postal service, all control is lost. Domestic certified shouldn't have those problems, because it is always in control of USPS.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Perhaps we should amend our comments to say "Registered is the safest inside the US." From what I've heard, mailing packages outside the US is sometimes a crapshoot, since you have no idea how the foreign postal service will treat your packages.

Does anyone have any experience using UPS or other courier services to other countries?

edited to add: Darktone, do you know if your package was lost by the USPS or the foreign postal service?

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭
    FEDEX is porbably best for expensive overseas shipping.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    in the last 4 years of being a ebay junkie...iv'e made nearly 800 purchases and sales ....never lost one ...all with U.S.P.S.

<< <i>Once it is in the hands of another country's postal service, all control is lost. Domestic certified shouldn't have those problems, because it is always in control of USPS. >>
      Wrong, they can't even confirm it left the country! I mailed it a smaller branch office that did not have a computer to log in the registered numbers( I found this out after the package was lost!) so they say my package can not be traced. Also for those that read this that were not around this forum when the Newport Beach postal employee thefts occurred- there was more than one registered package containing coins that was stolen. I lost a package that was insured for something like $3,000 but mine was sent priority and I have since learned that priority is a joke and that high dollar small priority packages are just waiting to be taken home by non-postal employee's that contract for mail delivery. mike
    • PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭
    • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
      About three years ago, I and several other board members lost registered insured packages headed to PCGS. One of the employees of the Newport Beach post office was caught with packages in their car. Apparently they knew packages going to PCGS were good targets. My loss was small ($1500), but I received a check for the full amount from the USPS. I was lucky, as one of the usual requirements for reimbursement is receipt for purchase of the coins (regardless of the amount of insurance you buy). I stated in my initial response to the P.O. claims administrator that I already knew the value of my submission (all raw), I was merely getting that opinion certified. Alan (MoneyLA) was good enough to mention the theft on his TV show (he also lost a package), and it got pretty good press. Several other submitters had to fight much harder to get fair reimbursement. Perhaps you could dig up the old threads. One of the real risks is underinsuring the return package. Suppose you submit a coin you value at $2000 and it upgrades to $20,000. You would be wise in that case to call PCGS before they ship and pay for additional coverage, or else should the package disappear, you're out $18,000.

Don
      Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
      and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
    • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
      Darktone,

I find it hard to believe that the USPS says your package can't be traced - registered mail is too important a product to the USPS for them to mess around with it like that. Personally, I'd complain bigtime - letters to the Postmaster General, your congressman, etc., all with copies to the postmaster of the station you mailed your package at!

As far as the Newport Beach thefts, didn't the Postal Inspectors jump all over that fairly quickly? (You can't really guard against thieves totally, but I understand that the Postal Inspectors are quick to protect the reputation of Registered Mail.)

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
      Is registered better than insured, and if so, why?
      Dave,

If memory serves, it went on for a few months. I think it's the exception rather than the rule, but it pays to keep good records none the less.
    • bozboz Posts: 1,405

<< <i>FedEx or DHL >>

I wouldn't rate these two any higher than the U.S.P.S.

In fact in my shipping adventures the score is:

Fedex: 1 package sent and lost/stolen--never used again
      U.S.P.S. registered: Many sent--none lost
      The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
    • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
      I always send high value items registered and they never get lost. I was talking to a guy at the PO a few weeks ago and he said he remembers a registered package getting lost.....about 20 years ago, pretty good record! He also said that if one gets lost the last person who signed for it at the post office WILL NOT HAVE A JOB!

Coverage is limited to $25,000 on shipments within the US.
      If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
      1987-C Hendersonville Road
      Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
      Xpipe: I think the biggest difference between Registered and Insured is the level of security. A Registered Mail Package is insured, and has to be signed in and signed out of every Office is passes through, and you probally have to sign for it when you recieve, but I might be wrong. While in the Post Office, it is kept locked in the vault. Someone correct me if I've gotten something wrong, but I think that's the general process...
      -George
      42/92
    • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Registered mail is not automatically insured; you have to pay extra for that. Because of the extra security associated with registered mail insurance rates are somewhat less than they would be for priority or first class or parcel post. As a rule the more valuable the shipment the tighter the security; as long as you pay the fees that they ask for.
      theknowitalltroll;

<< <i> find it hard to believe that the USPS says your package can't be traced - registered mail is too important a product to the USPS for them to mess around with it like that. Personally, I'd complain bigtime - letters to the Postmaster General, your congressman, etc., all with copies to the postmaster of the station you mailed your package at! >>
        Dave, I have complained to everyone with no help. I even had a buddy that works for the local post office check into it for me and try to track it and he said they could find no trace of it in the system- he said just to sit back and collect your $40.45 and write the rest off as lost because that's all I would get out of it. I gave up on ever hearing anything.
          << <i>As far as the Newport Beach thefts, didn't the Postal Inspectors jump all over that fairly quickly? (You can't really guard against thieves totally, but I understand that the Postal Inspectors are quick to protect the reputation of Registered Mail.) >>
            No these thefts lasted for several months! The earliest report on this forum if my memory is correct was early November and they were still occuing until the thief was caught sometime in late April I think? And these are just from the ones that were reported here by forum members- it could have started much earlier. I remember when my claim was filed they said they had numerous complaints already. I think my package was mailed in January and I had to wait 30 days to do a claim. I think about a hundred people checked in here to say they lost packages and I would estimate that was only a fraction of how many lost. I have talked to sveral people that settled with the post office for a fraction of the insured value and a few were denied any reimbursement at all. mike
          • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
            Registered mail is the most secured method for shipping. Registration fee is 7.50 plus the amount of insurance coverage that you want to place on it. Insurance premiums break in increments of 1000.00 . So remember that when you assign values. It is secure becuase not only does each location have to sign for it, but each person that handles has to sign for it from hand off to final delivery. It is supposed to stay under lock and key during its entire trip through the postal system. I have sent registered packages for many years and never had any lost, had a few slow ones, but none lost as of yet. I have herd that in the event of a loss, its easier to file claims with insured mail vs any other form, especially dealing with collectables, but since I havent had to yet, I cant confirm that.

I send all transactions over 250.00 by registered mail, sometimes I dont charge the buyer the full amount to do that, but I do it for my protection and to ensure delivery of goods shipped.

Plain ol Insured mail is really designed to give a replacement value on an item shipped that has been damaged or lost in transit. Not really secure, as it is not signed for and can simply be left in your box, somewhere in route, etc. I usually send lower dollar items this method, but do the packages up tight, and not identify the type of contents so it will hopefully detour someone from rifiling.

The comments about oversea's registered mail is pretty much what I have been told. Once it leaves the US, its pretty much out of the USPS hands, and responsiblity. I also believe the max value reimbursement goes down to 750.00.

My package was shipped from NC to CA. It was registered and insured. It took several months to get reimbursed, and lots of correspondence. I still think it's the safest way to ship, but it isn't foolproof. Keep good documentation.image
          • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Xpipe: I think the biggest difference between Registered and Insured is the level of security. A Registered Mail Package is insured, and has to be signed in and signed out of every Office is passes through, and you probally have to sign for it when you recieve, but I might be wrong. >>

Acutally, it is signed into each individual's hand who touches it... not just each PO. And yes, the last signature is the recipient.

Jeremy
            JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
          • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
            Inside the US, Registered is the best way to ship....not 100% safe, but way ahead of any other method...filling the forms is a pain, but you will get paid.image
            "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
            rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
          • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
            Mike,
            why did you register a $40 package?
            "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
            rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

<< <i>but you will get paid >>
              You must show proof of the insured items value before you are paid on a large claim. On my $3,000 loss my claim was denied the first time! I had to really fight to get my money! Many others settled for a small fraction of the insured amount and some were never paid a centimage. Look through some of the old threads. The highest amount you can insure a registered package to Europe is $40.45 and my package was much more valuable than that but I felt this was the safest way. I think you can get higher coverage using a different type of postage but you can't get a signature that the utem was recieved? mike
            • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had two packages stolen by the USPS enroute to PCGS, one Priority Mail & one REGISTERED. Both were insured. I've never had any
              problems receiving packages back from PCGS.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
              I think pcgs will grade your coins the same day at a show if you get to them early on day 1 and give them back to you at the show.
              Placid: I am considering submitting a about 10-15 Morgans for the $16 economy grading service level, some $20 Gold Libs & Saints, a couple of high-grade Capped Bust Halves, 1918-S Full Head Standing Liberty Quarter, and my 1857 Seated Liberty Half at the $30 level.

I may do a show-level grading on my 1799 Bust Dollar if I decide to get it certified, so that I can avoid the potential shipping risk.

With a total of about 25 coins, I'm trying to mimimize the grading fees...

Stuart

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

This last week I sent a letter via Registered, and went to the USPS website and signed up for Email updates. It worked pretty neat - I got a little note each day showing where, when, and how my package was doing. It only spent a couple days in transit, but I liked that email feature. (and the price!)

Furthermore, my little local post office has upgraded recently to computerized printouts of everything. So I got a Registered receipt with a printout of the RA number, which cannot be incorrect. Last year I had one where the postal employee mis-wrote the number on my receipt, and I never could track it.

I could see how an employee might intentionally give a customer the wrong RA number, and then steal the package. Not likely, by any stretch, but it could happen. But with the new computers and scanners - I think its even more secure.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
              I have not had any recent problems with the US mail when buying or selling coins. I have a suspicion that problems tend to be isolated to areas where a specific, dishonest, postal employee has decided to steal from mail he/she perceives as valuable. They usually get caught because the Postal Inspection Service can quickly see a pattern to the thefts and can narrow the suspects down to a few individuals.

The real risk seems to be in running into one of these theives when he/she is at the start of his/her criminal activity...a time when complaints have yet to be filed. This is why we buy insurance.
              All glory is fleeting.
            • It has been awhile since I dealt with PCGS, but as I remember, they ship coins exactly as I have always done. It is a mouth full, but I always tell the lady at my Post Office that I want to ship my package "First class registered, insured, return receipt requested."

Most everyone here seems to understand the importance of "First class registered insured." It is very inexpensive for the obvious added measures of safety. However, I am not so sure as others that the recipient must actually sign for the package. Sure enough, everyone and their brother at the USPS has to sign for the package while it is in transit, but I think they can just throw it on the recipient's porch as delivered without obtaining a signature. A dishonest mail carrier could just pretend he delivered the package. A passer-by could steal the package from the recipient's porch. Heck, the recipient himself could be a thief and claim he never received the package. For all these reasons I have always paid the extra $1.50 so that I receive my self-addressed postcard or "return receipt" with the recipient's own signature as solid proof of their receipt.

I wonder if there would have been any thefts at the Newport Beach Post Office if everyone had also requested a return receipt.

Yep, I can be long-winded, but there is one more thing of critical importance when shipping coins, precious metals, or jewels. Please always abbreviate the recipient's company name. For example:
              address your package to PCGS, NOT Professional Coin Grading Service; Heritage RCG, NOT Heritage Rare Coin Galleries. I hope all this helps.

Regards,
              Dan Lay

PS I certainly hope some more folks help me out on my Mercury Trumpet Tail S thread. So far, Don is the only person kind enough to help me out and make me feel welcome here as a new member. I hope to hear from some additional helpful and friendly people today.
              "For when the one great scorer comes to write against your name, he writes not that you won or lost, but how you played the game."---Author unknown.
            • I have nevr had a problem with registered mail. They are slow to deliver but otherwise safe.

I receive my self-addressed postcard or "return receipt" with the recipient's own signature as solid proof of their receipt.

That may be a bad assumption. A few months ago I received an Insured package - it wasn't Registered - but all I had to do was present the Yellow "Come get your package" Card at the post office, and sign for the package. No one ever checked my ID to see if I was indeed the person on the address label, or that I signed my actual name. They sat the box on the table, where someone could see the name before signing for it.

EarnestMoney: image to the Forum! imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Stuart

• GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
              No commercial service is more reliable than the U.S. Postal Service, and most are far, far less reliable, ESPECIALLY FedEx, which is by far the worst. I'd go with USPS, insured.
              small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
              POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
              POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
              GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
            • Darktone, Go to the USPS site and post a complaint. Someone will definitely respond.

I complained to them because my mailperson wasn't bringing packages to the door, just leaving slips. I got an apology and it hasn't happened since.
              ealandg, I filed complaints twice on line and all I got in return was a questionaire on how my compaint was handled- I replied that I was never contacted both times and I have never heard nothing back from them. This was about six months ago. mike

• << <i> I receive my self-addressed postcard or "return receipt" with the recipient's own signature as solid proof of their receipt.

That may be a bad assumption. A few months ago I received an Insured package - it wasn't Registered - but all I had to do was present the Yellow "Come get your package" Card at the post office, and sign for the package. No one ever checked my ID to see if I was indeed the person on the address label, or that I signed my actual name. They sat the box on the table, where someone could see the name before signing for it.

image >>

"That may be a bad assumption."

You are absolutely correct, Fishcooker. I never thought of that possibility.

Nonetheless, first class registered, insured, return receipt requested has been the industry standard for at least a couple decades. As I remember the precious metals and jewelry industries lobbied Congress and the USPS years ago for a safe way to ship valuables. They came up with a great system in my opinion. I have shipped by this method at least a couple hundred times without loss or damage.

Check out the FAQ's at PCGS, and you will find they recommend registered insured and also suggest return receipt as a way of knowing when PCGS has received your coins.

Thanks for the friendly welcome, Stuart! I feel better now.

Dan

"For when the one great scorer comes to write against your name, he writes not that you won or lost, but how you played the game."---Author unknown.
            • PCGS also recommends FedEx. I strongly discourage the use of FedEx for any items of value.

Several years ago I endured pitiful service from FedEx on nearly a daily basis for months. When the time came for our $5 Million multi-year shipping contract renewal, I vetoed it.

Guess what I observed them doing nearly every day at 10:30AM with small fragile packages. They were playing football...and of course they would spike the "ball" after every touchdown. I live in Cincinnati; I compared notes with an audio dealer in Las Vegas; he said he has also witnessed the "fragile item football games." I am afraid they may have an underground football league across the nation.
            • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
              Boy, you've really struck a nerve now! Hey Jr. I had a $1555 package mailed to me 3-16 via

Registered/ Insured mail. If I give you the tracking # it says the same thing today as it said day one,

that it was accepted at the post office it was mailed from. THAT'S IT! The message has not changed

in 3 weeks. If everybody has to sign for it then how come nobody knows where the hell it is?

March has been the Month from Hell as far as incoming mail is concerned....also lost was a shipment

drom David Lawrence Rare Coins. I placed an order with them and 24 hours placed an even more

expensive one. Order #2 made it but #1 is MIA.

Order #3...another package never got here! By now I am livid!

I've lived in this same spot since 1986 and there isn't a week that goes by that my carriers

do not screw up. They have forgotten to have me sign the Green card that people pay good money to

have returned to them. My mail goes either across the street to the Health Spa or down the road to

the Veterinary clinic and vice versa. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR THIS?

I've been given the Spa owner's credit card statement along with the vet's and vice versa. By now I

wanna put my foot in somebody's Ace!

Nooooo...it's NOT just a local problem either, if that's what you're thinking. Last year a package from the US Mint, properly addressed wound up being delivered 100 miles away from here. Suffice to say

that everyone from the carrier, the counter workers, the mail sorters, the local postmaster all the way up to the Big Boppa Postmaster know me by Name. How this one carrier keeps his job is beyond me.

The only part that gets done right is when I do the shipping. Incoming SUCKS! I have come
              to truly detest the USPS. I've had to change credit card numbers several times because of their incompetence.

I will not do business with Fedex or UPS. I suspect Fedex tried to steal a package of mine coming from the US mint.

They left me a hand-written notice of attempted delivery at the house, that said I could pick up the package at their warehouse after 8:30 PM.

Drove 15 miles over there, and found that they closed at 8:00 PM, not 8:30 PM. The odd thing about it was that I was NOT the only guy there. There were 4 other cars there with similar notices - "after 8:30 PM". We all left empty-handed. I think this was not a one-time thing and not an accident.

The next day by total luck I was home when they attempted delivery for the last time, but the whole situation left me suspicious, to say the least........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
            Emoji
            Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
            Drop image/file