Home U.S. Coin Forum

Die Polish Question on Morgan Dollars 1878-P 7TF VAM-186

RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
I suppose this could be for any series.

My question is when a die is polished, will it act as raised lines on the coin after being struck?

I have a Morgan Dollar, 1878-P 7TF VAM-186 (broken 4th star on right), except on the reverse has a scribble-like affect to it. I have a whole roll of the VAM-186 variety that I bought about 4 years ago and I am just now going through them. By the way, I did not by them for the variety, just bought them because it was an original roll that the dealer put together out of an original bag.

Anyway, is this scribble-like affect die polish? Or something else? The scribble is raised, not incuse, so it is not a scratched (or damaged) coin. It is the only one in the roll that looks as such.

Thanks for any help.

Richard.

Comments

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes... polishing done to the die produces coins with tiny raised lines.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rampage: Yes, raised lines as Dennis has already replied. I find it easier to view a questionable coin in my binocular microscope on high power, and to rack the focus up & down to verify if the lines are raised on, or recessed in, the coin's surface.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file