Home U.S. Coin Forum

Walker Advice Needed

I am building a type set. Spending about $750 per coin (plus or minus). I am looking at Walkers and am undecided. Do I buy a MS - 62 or 63 in an early date or am I better off going with a very high grade from the 30's or 40's? The later date coins are prettier but with the higher mintages may not be such a great investment.

Comments

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Are your other type coins the highest grade possible? If so, match them. If not, keep the set consistent at a level you appreciate and can afford. .....Personally, the longer you collect, the more I think you'll want the high grade (near perfect) example.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to consider going with one of the earlier dates. The latter dates are usually found much nicer as you mentioned, but are plentiful to say the least. The last few major shows I attended, the one thing I noticed is that earlier high circualted Au> to low end MS coins are far and few between. And the ones I have seen offered were of medicore quality with a big price tag.

At a 750.00 +- budget, you wont be able to go with dates like the 19's, 20-d, 20-s, 21's, 23-s but there are some other dates that would be good alternatives, Such as the 16, 16-d, 17-s obv,27-s,28-s,29-s, 33-s. Someone told me to avoid the 1918 dates as they were overrated currently comapred to the other dates, I am not sure why that is, but he is a well respected WLH collector, so I did take note. Anyway, just a suggestion.

But take your time and look for a nice quality specimen, with good eye-appeal and strike characteristics.

jim

• I too am going for a type set. I didn't worry about the investment aspect. So I bought the highest grade I could afford of a common date. That way I can own a beautiful coin. When I show them to non-collectors they agree the coins are beautiful and they don't know a common date from a key date. However I might choose differently if I was investing rather than collecting.

BTW I went for a proof Walker, though for $750 you could get an awesome MS coin!
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    1947 in MS66...last year and underrated, plus you get a Gem+ coin for your money.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1946 or 1947 is decent choice. An early date would be good too. Consider owning two examples to account for the slight difference in the skirt lines between the pre 1921 dates and the later dates of the 1933-1947 time frame.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I understand the desire to match the coins in your set, but I can't see getting an MS62-63 coin when you could get a primo piece for the money you're willing to spend.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file