Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can we even ask about Fort Knox, KY.?

islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
Any gold coins there or mostly in bar form?image
YCCTidewater.com

Comments

• DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    As far as I know, it's been empty for decades. I recall reading something many years ago about the waste of tax dollars protecting Fort Knox, when in fact it had contained no gold for many years.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • The conspiracy theorists maintain that Fort Knox has no gold. However, every time Congress audits them and comes to inspect the base first-hand, somehow there is always gold there. Naturally it would be remiss of me to point out that the conspiracy theorists believe the gold is simply on temporary loan by the Trilateral Commission image

At any rate, assuming there is gold there (which I believe), it's all in bar form--either in 400 ounce (28 pounds) or 1000 ounce (69 pounds) ingots. Remember though, Fort Knox's main function is as the foremost armored training grounds in the country. It's here that those who drive our tanks truly become elite soldiers. And of course, the knowledge, or at least the belief, that our government owns tons of gold gives people somewhat more faith in our "fiat" currency--even though the dollar isn't backed by gold, people rest more easily knowing that our government at least does have SOME assets (no matter how comparitively miniscule).
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I think the Three Stooges were involved with a robbery attempt at Fort Knox.
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI The gold stored in the Depository is in the form of standard mint bars of almost pure gold or coin gold bars resulting from the melting of gold coins. These bars are about the size of an ordinary building brick, but are somewhat smaller. The approximate dimensions are 7 x 3-5/8 x 1-3/4 inches. The fine gold bars contain approximately 400 troy ounces of gold, worth $16,888.00 (based on the statutory price of $42.22 per ounce). The avoirdupois weight of the bars is about 27-1/2 pounds. They are stored in the vault compartments without wrappings. When the bars are handled, great care is exercised to avoid abrasion of the soft metal.
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

• << <i>$16,888.00 (based on the statutory price of $42.22 per ounce) >>

That's interesting--why is the statutory price only $42.22 per ounce, when the bars' actual market value is $168,880 each?
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddink, one possible reason for maintaining the old price is that in the event of federal confiscation of gold (as in 1933), they can take the public's gold, and pay you $42.22/oz for it...legally. Whether that would happen today is another debate. In 1933 they confiscated gold at the listed $20/oz price and then immediately turned around and declared gold worth $35/oz. Net effect was a windfall for the govt, and a devalued dollar for all holders of US dollars and dollar denominated instruments.

The US has certainly sold off large hunks of its gold over the past 15 years (along with the world's central banks) in order to depress the price of gold to maintain the gold leasing game intact. This was a no-loss game for all players (except the public of course) who would lease the gold from central banks for 1% and then sell the gold on the open market at say 6%, and pocket the difference. In the event that gold started to move up in price and threatened the "game," (the game ends when the banks/financial institutions/hedged gold companies lose money by having to pay back their loans in gold as POG rises above the contractual price), the central banks and govts would sell more gold to depress the price. This was one of the major reasons gold prices stayed constant (manipulated) through the 1990's and why gold reserves have been depleted.

How much gold is left in Fort Knox? Inquiring minds want to know!

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Very educational thread thus far.image Any other input?image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file