Home U.S. Coin Forum

PICS POSTED !! Accented Hair and DCam dime. Opinions ?

If you remember, I posted last week that I bought a group of Kennedy halves last minute on ebay hoping to luck out and find a few nice keepers but nothing good to mention came out of it.image

But...

Russ mentioned that one of the coins looked like it might be a "Accented hair" variety. It wasn't.
I did not know how to distinquish Accented Hair from Regular strike until searching some previous post, this got me interested in finding one in the rest of my collection.

Now the good part...image

I had put away 10 unopened 1964 Proof sets and couldn't resist opening one to see what was inside. I couldn't believe it, the first one I opened was "Accented Hair". So that meant I had to open the others.
I found 7 with Accented Hair, all in perfect condition like the day they were sealed. Also in one of the sets I found a Deep Cameo Roosevelt Dime that looks flawless.

What should I do? image

Should I cut all these coins out and send them in to get slabbed? PCGS or NGC ?

Look forward to your thoughts...

Randy

imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Split them up and send to PCGS, NGC and ANACS and follow thru back here with usimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I know zip about Kennedy halves and am asking a real question not just trying to bust your chops...Are AH Kennedies scarce?? If so, why do I keep reading string after string about how I found 7 out of 10 AH Kennedies?? All these "finds" lead a non-Kennedy collector to assess AH Kennedies are not a big deal? I fully understand trying to find a "perfect" coin, but who is buying all these high grade AH Kennedies you guys are making?? What is the price structure and is it dropping?image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    We need pictures.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    rainbowroosie: About 1 in every 100 '64 proof sets has AH Kennedies. Only 1 die pair produced the AH.
    -George
    42/92
  • Was the deep cameo dime from a set with an AH Kennedy? Can you check to see if the dimes from the AH Kennedy sets are pointed nine dimes? I have some photos on my website showing the difference here. You will probably need a magnifying glass to see the difference.

I have a theory that the pointed nine dimes are often found in proof sets that also contain AH JFKs. I'm looking for evidence that supports or disproves this theory. Thanks!
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I beleive the Tomaska book has good pics of the AH vs. regular '64.

You can get a signed and numbered limited edition on Rick's website for $59.95. He also has the regular edition listed at $10 each, but he is sold out.

Rick Tomaska's Website
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    CarlWohlforth: I checked the dimes and compared them to your link. 4 of the 7 are "pointed 9". They all are part of the sealed proof sets that I opened. The Deep Cameo dime is one of the pointed 9's. I'm going to take some pics in a minute and post them for viewing.

Randy
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I have a theory that the pointed nine dimes are often found in proof sets that also contain AH JFKs. I'm looking for evidence that supports or disproves this theory.

The 1964 proof set I have with a AH Kennedy also contains a pointed 9. Very cool! Thanks for the info Carl.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I found 7 with Accented Hair, all in perfect condition like the day they were sealed. >>

Randy,

Have you cut them from the celo yet? The coins are very prone to obverse hairlines, (much more so than the second obverse die), and these are generally impossible to detect through the packaging. They can even be hard to detect out of the packaging. That's one of the reasons why, out of over 1400 graded, only 35 are graded PR69 and none in PR70.

As far as submitting them to PCGS: If your goal is to do so for resale, submit them only if they'll grade PR67 or higher.

<< <i>Are AH Kennedies scarce?? If so, why do I keep reading string after string about how I found 7 out of 10 AH Kennedies?? >>

Nobody posts when they buy 10 sets and find none; or 20 sets; or 30 sets; or 100 sets. Gives kind of a skewed perception of availability. Also, when one does find some, it's not unusual to find them in groups since many collectors ordered multiple sets from the mint at the same time. That said, they aren't really "scarce" in the true sense of the word, but they are scarce in high grade.

<< <i>What is the price structure and is it dropping? >>

PR65 - $20
    PR66 - $30
    PR67 - $40
    PR68 - $90
    PR69 - $400

65CAM - $50
    66CAM - $90
    67CAM - $225
    68CAM - $600

65DCAM - $450
    66DCAM - $800
    67DCAM - $1500
    68DCAM - $6000

Note: The above guide applies only to PCGS graded examples.

These numbers are actually somewhat low compared to recent market. There's been a bit of a surge. For example, the most recent PR68CAM sold at $1025, the most recent PR67CAM at $405. The market was pretty depressed last year, but has picked up so far this year.

<< <i>About 1 in every 100 '64 proof sets has AH Kennedies. >>

It's actually more like 3 out of 100, and perhaps as high as 5 out of 100. I know what the "experts" estimate, but none of them have spent the last two years hunting them.

<< <i>I have a theory that the pointed nine dimes are often found in proof sets that also contain AH JFKs. >>

It's not a theory, it's a fact.

Russ, NCNE
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>I beleive the Tomaska book has good pics of the AH vs. regular '64.

You can get a signed and numbered limited edition on Rick's website for $59.95. He also has the regular edition listed at $10 each, but he is sold out.

Rick Tomaska's Website >>

He's got the second edition for $29.95, and the signed version for $55.00.

He's got to be joking, right?

<< <i>I beleive the Tomaska book has good pics of the AH vs. regular '64. >>

Click here for much better information about the coin.

<< <i>The Deep Cameo dime is one of the pointed 9's. >>

Does it look anything like this:

Russ, NCNE
  • XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭

<< <i>image

Russ, NCNE >>

66CAM?

<< <i>66CAM? >>

Actually, it's now a pop 1/0 PR69UCAM owned by Carl. image

Russ, NCNE

<< <i>

<< <i>I beleive the Tomaska book has good pics of the AH vs. regular '64.

Rick Tomaska's Website >>

He's got the second edition for $29.95, and the signed version for $55.00.

He's got to be joking, right? >>

I have the first and second editions of the Franklin book (unsigned), and think I think the second edition is well worth $29.95. I used to have the 1950-1970 proof book, but like a dummy I gave it away. I had no choice but to order the signed edition for $59.95.image I'm running into quite a few cameo coins from that era and felt like a needed a good reference. I do collect signed numismatic books, but IMO Rick Tomaska's sig is not worth that much money. I have a real weakness for coin books, just can't pass on many that I have even a passing interest in. Friends come over and see the bookcases full of coin books and like to ask if I feel like I have enough, my answer is always "NO!"
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

<< <i>

<< <i>I beleive the Tomaska book has good pics of the AH vs. regular '64. >>

Click here for much better information about the coin.

<< <i>The Deep Cameo dime is one of the pointed 9's. >>

Does it look anything like this:

Russ, NCNE >>

Russ, if you ever write a book on 1964-70 Half Dollars, I'll be first in line to buy a (signed) copy!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

<< <i>I used to have the 1950-1970 proof book >>

I also have it. It's one of my favorite books and, as far as I'm concerned, is worth ordering just for the plates. I also have the book that really started it all and preceded Rick's by eight years - Val Webb's.

Russ, NCNE
  • Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭
    I just took some pics. I post them in a minute. I think you'll be impressed with the dime image

Randy
  • "Actually, it's now a pop 1/0 PR69UCAM owned by Carl. "

And it has much more frost than other UCAM Rooseys I own. Thanks Russ! I'd like to buy more if any of you run across any!

I have the first Tomaska cameo book. I was buying several coins from him and he included a copy with some coins. He signed it for me image
  • JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I have a '64 Proof set with an AH Kennedy, and it has a Pointed 9 image
    -George
    42/92
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I know what the "experts" estimate, but none of them have spent the last two years hunting them.

Russ, you made me think, and it's been longer than that. I dug out an old Inv.#336412 I thought you'd get a kick out of. Look at the date. image Same stuff, different year. image

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Carl's dime!!!! COOL!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently everyone has better luck with proof sets than I do. I've looked at dozens of
    '64 sets and have only one or two AH, and I've never gotten any of the scarce varieties.
    I have a few small dates and type II's but that's about it. Even cameos appear very few
    and far between for the pre-71 dates.
    Tempus fugit.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Sam, it was lots easier to find them before Russ started the West Coast Hoard. If you'll notice the date on the invoice I put up, it predates Russ's arrival to the boards. That's about the last time I was able to buy a nice one. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file