Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Opus 161 Uniface Trial cast in silver

K-161 “Prince Leopold of Bavaria obverse trial”, 1915, silver, 87.7 tondo on irregular 115mm X 119mm uniface foundry cast. Choice about uncirculated. Unfinished obverse bears the uniformed beared bust of Prince Leopold as the conqueror of Warsaw. In comparison to the finished medal at right, the facial features are complete but the uniform cross-belt and legend have not been added yet. The fields bear marks from the artist’s engraving tools, and toning gives a pleasing antique effect.

Comments

• Options
    Damn that's impressive
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Now that's what this hobby is all about!! Great work Scott - the "work in progress" look of the trial piece shows the history of development more then words or finished product. This trip is going to be fun. You have created a monster though, we will keep demanding more and more from you.image
    Great images!!
    Shep
  • Options
    I find the unfinished medal more ? (intresting, realistic,.....) than the final product. Does any of your collection contain earlier items such as drawings that he may of made, or did Goetz start with metal?

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    There are only sketches in the reference books that I am aware of. Most of Goetz' records were destoyed by fire in his Munich workshop sometime during WWII. There were three boxes of "papers" that his son Guido had that were sold with the remainder of the estate in the 1994 Gorny Auction which contain a large lot of Goetz material. No one knows who purchased the lots (all done with one large sum of money) or what became of these "papers".

I'm pretty sure that Goetz followed the normal procedure of creating a medal from the sketch, to clay model, to negative plaster molds, and eventual casting...
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Very nice!! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I am really enjoying these posts.

Might even consider picking up one or two, here or there.

Thanks for your efforts Cacheman.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams