Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2004 Heritage Master Set: Over and Out

Welp, I finally put the last card of my master set in its binder. I have been one of the earliest heritage
collectors and the latest to put a set together. I would have it no other way. If there is nothing to
chase, then that isn't too fun. Smoltz was that card, and while strolling through target store number
55 or 56 with my wife and kid, I spotted a few packs in a box, pulled about 5 out and threw them
in the buggy. There is always an excitment when these packs are being opened, eventhough I have
seen just about everything...well except card #437, tucked behind Brad Radke or some other common,
the card is the last one I would lay eyes on.

So what does one do with 32 pounds of wrapped pink squares? I guess it really doesn't matter. The
memories will always be there, the Arod auto I pulled back in 2001 from 6 lone packs, tossed aside
by the pack searchers and target employees. Maybe my first loaded box of 2004, with its GU/
Chrome/SP packs. Or maybe the time on my birthday I drove 12 miles to the nearest super
walmart on a tip that heritage had hit in retail stores, and then at 2 in the morning sitting on the
bench inside pulling a Don Newcombe Autograph.

We can now all disappear to what we know best...vintage, or memorabilia, or hockey, only to emerge
in another year to enjoy the thrill of the chase, the short prints and the shorter prints. Trades and
sales and free give aways. It is all good. I thank all who helped, and there were a bunch of you. People
who didnt even know me! Im sorry we all couldn't get together and trade in person and maybe trade
stories, perhaps next year in 2005!

Welp, my binder awaits, there is much to study....any unassisted triple plays in 2003....I think I now
know where to look!

Sincerely,
Topps Heritage Collector.

Comments

• Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Joe.

By the way, take the gum to work. I was able to get rid of all my gum in about a week (15 retail boxes worth) that way, and my fellow employees really appreciated it?
  • Options
    AknotAknot Posts: 1,196 ✭✭
    Yeah you are right. Keep it in the Heritage box and they will ask questions about the age of the gum. Not that they ever wrapped gum in plastic "way back when". The box looks old so they almost ALWAYS ask. Also you can get people to possibly tell you about the collection mom threw away or the one they have at home. Quite a conversation piece.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a newcomer to the boards - Kevin, I want to say this year has been one of fun and enjoyment - I usually make this trek by myself - but it was made much more interesting with the help of people who I enjoyed sharing my cards with.

Now the bad news - I'm laying out my master set for binder and I find that I have made a mistake - Is there someone out there who I was supposed to send something for trade and misplaced the agreement? I am missing #8 Sp, 123 SP and 459! Considering the amount of stuff I have sent out, I can understand how this happened. Next year I will be more organized.

To those who are late in starting/completing the set, pm or email me your needs for commons and I do have some SP's left Any of my trading buddies want to come to my aid - please don't hesitate.

As Kevin said - for most of us the hunt for heritage is over and if I run into a retail, I will surely buy it out of shear reflex! Or hide it for next year?

With a thanx to the people I traded with and we know who we are - A Special Thanx goes out to the architect of this madness Kevn 'JoeStalin" for making me feel welcome.
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone,

Check your PMs.

Steve
  • Options
    Steve
    Thank you very much for helping me to complete the set! If you need anything else LMK - otherwise, see on the next go around.
    Mike

Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    congrats u guys for completing your sets, I wish I had built one. The look of the heritage this yr is reminincent of the 55 Topps and I like that set, plus I love the taste of the gum brings back many wonderful memories. image
    Good for you.
  • Options
    congrats all around!! putting a master set together presents a challenge. i've been following the heritage threads and all i can say is that you guys (JS, STONE ETC) are hardcore!! i wish i had the time for what you guys call "THE HUNT".

JS- if you had checked your pm's you could have finished earlier, i'd been saving 70v for you.

i still have the helton variation if anyone needs it, PM your address and it's yours, i have a handful of other sp's as well.

until next year stay well.

does anyone know what this years bowman heritage will be , i was hoping for the 55 design last year maybe they'll do it this year?
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

My master set sold on eBay (without the box toppers) for $270.00.

A month ago it would of been closer to $400.
  • Options

<< <i>My master set sold on eBay (without the box toppers) for $270.00.

A month ago it would of been closer to $400. >>

Here's the $25,000 question - was it worth it? Were you disappointed? Did you make a profit when you consider the time, etc..?

Just curious.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options
    highendhighend Posts: 534
    270.00 is very disappointing, but putting it together must of have been worth at least 130 bucks of entertainment.
  • Options
    I just did a search of Master sets sold from Mar 21 to Apr 4th and have found that luck may play a little factor on what your set will get.
    Within the same day, Mar 22, the set w/double headers went for $414, 393, 367, 450 and 500! The set seemed to show a cooling off by the 4th of April where a set w/double headers went for $350. Having said this, unless you are buying wholesale and immediately flipping the "hotter" items on ebay and can make a couple of master sets (one to keep) - then, I think the profit factor is limited. The raw cost of a master set is simple math - 3$/pack divided by 8 x set size = cost of the master set, not including the labor etc.

BUT, if you do it the way the "board hoard" did - the hunt for heritage, the 'trade', the jokes (Stalin's home painted jersey #70S), the friendships that developed, the vintage coming on board for a taste of modern.........well, this can't be priced - it's invaluable and can only be duplicated next year when it starts all over again. Thanx
    Mikeimage
    Mike
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    yeah, I think many of us knew that selling early is where the profit was, I just didn't have the will
    power to sell cards that I still needed for my set! If you all want to flip then there is money to be
    made, but keep this in mind:

Every year that this set stays popular is another year that people will be looking to complete older
    sets. I have been able to sell short prints and chromes from 01-03 heritage for 60-80% book,
    as once this stuff is gone it is gone and very hard to find......I can tell you by the stories of this
    bunch there isn't any retail left! LOL

If I was going to be stuck with a bunch of base cards and sp's, this would be the set I would want
    to be stuck with! I think even today you can STILL turn a profit on those 30 dollar retail boxes.

I just got the beckett today and was disappointed by the press beckett gave it (or didn't give it). They
    seem to think that ARod is just on fire...I don't see it, maybe I haven't looked but you get sick of
    having the Yankees shoved down your thraot every month!...oh well..

JS
  • Options
    congrats on finishing the set- it really is a beautiful set. i prefer the gum in the bowman heritage- the sugarfree gum they put in topps heritage (or maybe it's vice versa) just didn't cut it for me. in fact, i ended up packaging some of it w/ebay items i sold lol