Home U.S. Coin Forum

81S Kennedy Question

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
Hi,
I picked up this raw proof Kennedy recently from a coin shop, mainly because I have never had a cameo before and I thought it looked neat. Well, I looked it up today and I found out there is a Type 1 and Type 2 for the 81S. I am attaching some pictures. I know it may be tough to tell from the pics, but do you think it may be a Type 2? Also, about what grade would PCGS give such a coin? Thanks, in advance, for any responses.
MrSpud

Comments

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    MrSpud,

It looks like a nice coin, but I can't tell from the pic if it's the flat S or not. Here's a link so you can tell for yourself. Scroll down toward the bottom for good pics of the T2 mintmark. BTW - the obverse looks very clean, in the 68-69 dcam range.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • GTOsterGTOster Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Try this link for info

http://koinpro.tripod.com/educationalimagegallery.htmText

Help I can never get this right
    Paul
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    If it looks like a 79-S type 2 then it is an 81-S type 1----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    That's a Type I but it is a nice coin. Looks at least like a 68DCAM, but the pics are a bit fuzzy and there isn't one of the reverse.

Michael
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I need to work on my pic skills a bit. I think I need a tripod or something.
    MrSpud
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Here is one on E-Bay, notice how clear the "S" isimageKennedy Type 2---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    Hi again,
    I went and rigged up something to make the pics clearer (just set down the camera on a counter so it wouldn't move and rigged up the coin so it would stand in front of the camera lens). After looking at the links on this page, I'm inclined to think it is a type 2. Attached is a clearer version of a closeup of the mintmark, the reverse and the obverse. Thanks for looking.
    MrSpud
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm inclined to think that it is a type 2. >>

Nope, it's a Type 1. If that mint mark were on a 1979, it would be a Type 2.

Your coin:

1981 mint mark types:

Type 1 is on the left, Type 2 on the right.

Russ, NCNE
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    My opinion is that no amount of photos can be too much. These are the photos I took for my book of the same thing. Although these photos are of Lincoln cents, the idea remains the same for all 1981 proof coins. Like with the others, type 1 is on the left and type 2 is on the right.

imageimage

Edited to add: Anyone who wants to save these images and use them is welcome to.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
    Thanks,
    Mine always turn out to be the more common variety image Oh well, I still like it. Besides, I paid much less than the CU price guide suggests is the price of a Type I image
    MrSpud

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file