Home U.S. Coin Forum

MS67 vs. MS66 Lincolns

I've been a collector for a long time but never really got into the real high grade coins as I couldn't afford them when I was young. (Still can't!!) Anyways, I have some BU rolls of different years I was going thru looking for candidates for slabbing. I'm picking what I consider the "cherry" coins from the rolls. I've based my choices on strike and minimal bag marks. Are any bag marks acceptable on MS67? What submitting coins for grading what are some things that will keep the coin at MS66 vs. MS67. I have quite a few that I picked that I feel might make the grade but I'm having trouble whittling these down to a very select few. Any suggestions?? Thanks for your input.
Dougimage
Douglas R. Van Tassell

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    This is what I have found with PCGs for a Lincoln to qualify for a ms67. Bag marks aside (which should be very hard to find) the O in the One Cent on the Reverse must be fully rounded and defined....

on every Lincoln cent I have sent in where the top part of the O is kinda soft and mushy I have never done better then a six holder....

This is one of those little things that PCGs looks for in a given grade, in this case in Ultra GEM...

I'll be interested to hear what the Lincoln experts have to say... Again, this has been my experience....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

This may not be very helpful but look for the coins that stand head and shoulders above the others.
    Also check some already graded coins for comparison. An MS-67 should look very good but won't be
    perfect. There will be a lot a variation in quality from one year to another so try to err on the side of
    sending at least one of each date in for grading.
    Tempus fugit.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    Here is a 37p that I made, PCGs graded it ms67rd....

Notice the O is well struck and well defined:

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    For a MS67RD the coin will have no distraction of any kind (spots, hair lines, marks, streaks of color) in the field (just look don't magnify).
    Luster will be well above average.
    Marks very small and very few.
    Start with eye appeal first, without a glass.

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Lucy. I'll add that too much chatter on the shoulder is another sign of a soft strike and will keep a coin out of 67...but 99% of those coins will also have the soft O that Lucy mentioned.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file