Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you have a coin reholdered, just for the registry??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a variety coin in an old green PCGS holder. It's an IHC, 1886 Ty. 2, from the period before PCGS recognized Ty. 1 and Ty. 2. Currently it counts as a Ty. 1 in the registry. I think it's worth more in a PCGS green holder than a new holder, since any new buyer will be "assured" of the stability of the red color. Stability is a real issue as it's an expensive coin in red.

It's about the only coin I need to complete my IHC variety set.

So, what do you think? Get it reholdered, just to have it recognized as a type 2 for the registry, or leave it in the old holder to protect it's value?? imageimage
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the old green holders really have any premium -- or at least they shouldn't. I'd get it reholdered if only for when you want to sell it it'll show up with the proper designation in listings and online.
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Let's see old holder = known stability, and retention of value

new holder = chance of scratch, fingerprint, misholder, coin swap or lost in mail, registry qualified

Definitely reholder!! image
    Wondo

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Tough call. would be nice to have the proper designation fir it.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    Maybe PCGS can change the number in their database to show that it is a type 2. They'd probably want to see it first.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim,

Thats a good one, very tough call. For me it would be easy as I am not a registry chaser and would leave it in the older holder. More assurance of stability, and even more so no chance of mishandling during the reholdering submission.

But it would be nice to complete that slot and have it properly attributed as well.

jim

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could reholder at a show and keep the original insert and take good pics (no problem there!)---------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its worth more and its safer in the green holder I would leave it there. If you want to fill a hole in your registry set maybe think about buying another coin. image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakes- Surely if you showed the coin to David Hall at one of the shows he would be able to confirm the variety and "make it so" by changing the cert number in the PCGS system without having to reholder. On the other hand if the coin is a good upgrade canidate.......image
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim,

Just thought of something, dont know if this makes since but here it is:

Call David and ask him if you can send the coin in or take it by a show thier set up at. Have them look at the coin, print a new label, but leave the coin intack in the old holder and use the new label number and tag for entrance into the registry, then write a little commentary on the coin in the space provided in the registry?

jim

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I would not have a coin reholdered just for the registry -

In a slightly similar but not really case, I've had green-label coins reholdered to have pedigrees added, but even that I do reluctantly.

My theory is that the value of the coin in a new holder with a famous pedigree is probably higher than the value of the coin in old holder with no pedigree - but thats just one man's opinion.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    I'd bet that you will have to get it reholdered to get the correct designation to put in your set. Decision would depend on how much it means to you. I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. You Docs can always make more money. image If you want it there do what it takes.

Edited to add: I'd probably crack it for my raw set. image
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thoughts all. I've already had an email conversation with Hall - he had a very reasoned explanation as to why he can't change the designation w/o reholdering the coin. It's a pop. 0 coin currently (would be 1/0 with the new holder). Will likely just leave it as is - don't want to risk the infamous PCGS fingerprint and I do feel that red copper is worth more in older holders.

Mike - I don't think you'd crack this one out!image

Boiler78 - It's properly graded, so that's not an issue.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would you have a coin reholdered, just for the registry?? >>

No, I would not.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakesammman: (Why so many M's?)

My real take on this is that PCGS (and NGC) are really missing the boat on this BIG time. It would be called the supersized holder that wraps around the holder you already have.

Now how much would you pay to have a specially prepared Regency (or slightly bigger) holder which would then "save" the old holders and then have such holder contain the correct insert information yet clearly show the old insert which has been deleted from the system..

Now these would be a special situation slab. A slab such as these should probably cost at least $200 if not $250. Minimal risk to PCGS and NGC.

But you would pay for such a slab in a heartbeat.

So would I.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Depence on the coin. If it is a nice wheat or morgan wich has a chance for upgrading, I say YES!!!

Dennis

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file