Home U.S. Coin Forum

Proof V.S. Uncirculated

How do you differentiate a proof vs uncirculated coin? In this case, an 1892 Morgan. At a jewelry shop and claimed to be "1892 Proof Morgan Silver Dollar
This Scarce 1892 Proof Morgan Silver Dollar is in Choice Proof condition with beautiful natural toning.
Price - 1150.00 USD"
certifiedsilverdollar.com
A site dedicated to the sale of rare and high MS grade Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. All coins are graded by ICG, PCGS, NGC, or Anacs, and are priced well below PCGS values.

Comments

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I've often wondered how they determined between Proof and just Proof-Like and Deep Mirror Proof-Like... image
    -George
    42/92
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proofs have multiple strikes and most high points will be completely filled. Rims
    will be square and flat and edges will have very well defined reeding. Surfaces
    of proofs will usually be flat.
    Tempus fugit.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first place I look is at the lettering, look at a few examples in hand of the difference, like the more squared off edging due to the better strike. Look at the rims next. The more examples you look at, the easier it becomes.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    For me, the first thing I think of is whether proofs were made and how many. Then I think of if the date/mint/series is known for PL or DMPL coins. Then I look at the coin. The edges are always a giveaway when you're looking at the coin (not a pic). And the details will always seem extra sharp and crisp.
  • The denticles by the date don't look fully struck in that image. I'd want to see it first hand. All but the finest DMPLs have some scuffs. All but the impaired proofs have no bag marks. Low grade proofs often have slide marks or numerous hairlines. That would have to be a low grade proof at that price.

I'm no expert but haven't messed up yet on a Morgan. Some small PL seated coins do have me wondering for a while image
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Look at the rims. If they are squared and full and the denticals are well defined then its a proof. Take a known MS Morgan and compare the two coins. If they are similar its an MS coin.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Definitely has "prooflike" detail on the breast and wings.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • I am very intrigued by the coin. The shop however is in CA, I am in IN. I am gonna call Monday and see if I can get some type of return guarentee, so that I can forward to PCGS, and dicker price a bit.
    certifiedsilverdollar.com
    A site dedicated to the sale of rare and high MS grade Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. All coins are graded by ICG, PCGS, NGC, or Anacs, and are priced well below PCGS values.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file