Home U.S. Coin Forum

White Plains Coin Show Report

White Plains was pretty busy today. As is usual for the April show, it was downstairs and had about 100 dealers, of which about 20 were stamp dealers. Floor traffic was pretty busy throughout the morning. Interestingly, Arnold Saslow (from West Orange) was there for the first time. He said he had been encouraged to do the show and was having a busy time. (Sounds like he might come back.) The supply dealer wasn't there today, either. (I hope they're OK).

There were a lot of Morgans around, as usual (including a dealer who had cases of slabbed toned Morgans), as well as lots of Classic Commemms (including a dealer or two who stocked them exclusively). No motto Coronet gold was in short supply, as usual, but I saw several more early Seated Liberty coins than I'm used to. Daddy dollars were out in force, including from Miller's Mint, who had a dozen! (all but two in SEGS slabs, though); I must have seen about 15 more around the floor, slabbed and raw.

The high point for me was when Don Hosier let me hold a Scott Restrike Confederate Half in ICG MS-63! For those who don't know the story, these were minted in 1879 by coin dealer J.W. Scott. He used the original die to make 500 'coins', using genuine 1861 halves as the planchets, with the reverse ground for the Confederate side. (Scott also made 500 tokens in white metal using the Confederate die.)

Jon from Scarsdale Coin had several show specials, including 5 2004 nickels for a quarter and Michigan quarters for 25 cents. (A very nice treat!) He and I chatted for a few minutes about why the White Plains show wasn't more successful.

I saw several slabbed Seated Dollars in VF-AU, but a couple of them were "too white", a few of them were toned ugly and one of them I chickened out on! I was also pleased to see three or four 1838-O dimes. New World Rarities had an 1848-C half eagle in NGC VG-10 marked "cheap"! (Otherwise, C- and D-mint gold was thin on the ground.) I did see a Bechtler half eagle, though.

All-in-all, a good, busy show!

(Tomorrow - Parsippany!)

Check out the Southern Gold Society

Comments

• Thanks for the report.

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Glad to hear the nice show report.Thanks for sharing.
    kamehameha00
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I truely love these show reports.They help confirm our hobby is alive and well in the heart of America.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Always a quality show report from DaveG. Thanks, Dave.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report.
    Tempus fugit.
  • I enjoy reading these thank you!
  • jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    Thanks Dave I always enjoy reading your show reports.
    J'har
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178

<< <i>including a dealer who had cases of slabbed toned Morgans >>

do you remember this dealers name?

thanks
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    JB, I was not there , but I'm betting it was Island coin.image
    TD

thanks
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Island Coins was at the show, and when I compare the show map to where I sort-of remember seeing their table, I do think it was them.

daveg

thanks
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Daddy dollars were out in force, including from Miller's Mint, who had a dozen! >>

Dave: What are Daddy Dollars ?? Bust Dollars?? image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dave: What are Daddy Dollars ?? Bust Dollars?? image >>

I was wondering that too.

I saw the dealer with the Morgan toners- Many were spectacular! He also had a few incredibly toned Frankies but was asking quite a
    large premium for them. One of them I wanted sooo bad but I just couldn't do it. He was a really nice guy to talk to as well. I too forget
    his name.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Stuart,

Yes.

The reference (or at least my reference) for the term is page 10 of Bowers' Silver Dollar Encyclopedia, where he wrote (of silver dollars requested by a young man of his patron in 1834): "Early dollars of the type Calvin Farrar received, assuming they were Philadelphia Mint products and not Mexican dollars, were of the general class that newspapers and a later generation of numismatists called "dollars of our daddies," the dollars of long ago, the dollars from the mists of time before the Liberty Seated series. . ."

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>JB, I was not there , but I'm betting it was Island coin.image >>

I was there, it was Island Coin. I almost fell over when I saw their display cases.

My quick show report - overall it seemed there were more dealers than collectors walking the floor. For a downstairs show I'd say the attendance was on the low side. I saw a lot dealers buying, much moreso than usual, including one fellow who showed be a really superb and complete Indian Cent collection he'd purchased that afternoon (the '77 was AU, with plenty of early UNCs and Gems).

Personally, my error guys had some nice fresh material to look through. I picked up a very nice brown UNC 1935-S cent with about an 8% clip from Glen Burger. I even cherrypicked a little, finding a nice 1864 two-cent piece RPD in XF and a DDO 1936-D Walker. I looked through a *lot* of stock and only picked up a few nice proof or UNC coins - one super toned Washington Quarter is going to get its own thread soon.

Two shout-outs to very helpful dealers. First to the dealer who let me gawk at his modern PCGS proofs and gave me a lesson in CAM vs DCAM cents (I should have grabbed a card - I think it was JBC Coin). He knew I wasn't a buyer but was very patient and gave me some solid advice. Second to Bill Affanato of A&N Enterprises, who got me started collecting errors and varieties some 15 years ago. In addition to baby-sitting my clipped cent set while I walked the floor, he referred another collector with a 2003 cent clip available over to me. Instead of playing the middle man, Bill gave him my name and showed him my set to convince him I'd offer the strongest and smartest money for the coin. Bill is absolutely one of the nicest guys in the hobby.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file