Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 SMS Coins on eBay

The seller has the Cent, Dime and Quarter up for auction.
Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. The three coins are the same grades as three that were listed on Teletrade a while back, and ended as not sold. The BIN prices he has set are less than what the three were bid up to, though.

Edit: The opening bids are less; only one BIN is less.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The 64 Washington looks like a type C reverse. If that's true, it was likely produced in 65, supporting the notion these were SMS related. I talked with the gentleman that originally purchased the sets (pedigree Lester Merkin). His original purchase was indeed 10 sets, however he indicated several of the halves were ordinary and were placed in the junk silver pile. Ironically, at the Stack's auction of Mr.Merkin's estate (Dec 1,1994), there was a single 1964 Kennedy half (lot 921) sold alongside his finest known 1795 half O-123 and his 1922 matte proof Peace dollar. It was described as a very choice brilliant proof, pale grey. Who would have figured Mr.Merkin for a Kennedy guy. image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seller says only 10 were made, and I have heard the story you told Don, and glad you confirm it.

PCGS Pop Reports as of today:

1964 SMS Lincolns graded: 21
    1964 SMS Jeffersons graded: 16
    1964 SMS Roosevelts graded: 21
    1964 SMS Washingtons graded: 26
    1964 SMS Kennedys graded: 9

Very interesting numbers, and I don't know whether this says something about resubmits, or actual SMS's out there.
    Doug
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Got my eye on the Lincoln but I don't feel I know enough to bid. Any opinions on these coins??

M.image
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a complete set (with 2 nickels) in Portland last week.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

I have to say I am somewhat uneasy about these coins. PCGS (and everyone else) has a difficult time distinguishing high grade 1965, 1966, and 1967 mint state from SMS.

Also, with respect to the quarter I have a bunch of MS 1964 quarters with the C reverse, as well as a couple of 1964-D's with C reverses.

Does anyone have specific diagnostics for these coins?
    Doug
  • Options
    Doug, I've been saving pictures of all these coins I could find. I have been looking for die markers on the halves. One of the reasons I was interested in the quarter was to try and guess a production date. More as I find it.image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with Doug. However, the 1964 SMS Kennedy is pretty easy to distinguish from the regular issue coin. It's not beat all to hell. image

I'm wondering, though, are the dime and quarter clad or silver? If they're clad, then that would dispel the fear at least for those two.

Oh, and I think NGC is more correct in calling these specimens.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's only a single known 1964 clad quarter and it's not SMS.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Don, that sounds interesting. I have to say personally, that I have only seen a couple of 1964 SMS coins in person. I think they are fascinating right along with the No. S coins which are also extremely rare. I think my lack of knowledge is holding me back on making a move, although I would love to have a rarity like this to add to my cent and dime modern sets.
    Doug
  • Options
    Doug, the dime linked in this thread has TONS of die polish. I find that fascinating.

Edited to add - sorry, not linked in this thread, but for sale by the same seller.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file